Saxophone Forum

by Saxman_51
(18 posts)
18 years ago

I need help Playing altissimo

Can someone please help me. I am trying to learn how to play altissimo notes above the high f#. I've bought books with the fingerings and a book entitled "Top Tones for Saxophone" 3rd Edition but i don't know what to do from there. Also another question that i dont know is; what is the highest note played on the soprano saxophone. If anyone could help me out on this, I would really appreciate it.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I need help Playing altissimo

Just go through the book and practice the overtones....I think one of the best ways to practice ready for altissimo (should be in the book) is it has where you finger a low B flat or B or something low, and you bite down harder and goes to another note (Again, should be in the book) just practice those a lot. Altissimo can take a long time to get the hang of it....it took me 1 month to get my first altisimo G (Didnt work very hard for it), and its been a year, i can play most altissimo but its very hard to play in songs... And from my experience, if you have a mouthpiece with a big tip and you play on a thinker reed, you can bite down hard and you'll get to a point where the harder you bite the higher it goes....its not even really a note just a pitch that gets sharper...but gee, SOPRANO? you should almost NEVER have to go into altissimo on a sopranno.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by knorter
      (205 posts)

18 years ago

The Count is referring to the overtone series. You play a low Bb and then use your vocal chords and throat to try to make the horn play a series of notes that are higher. The notes are: an octave higher Bb, a fifth above that to F. A fourth above that to the next Bb. Then it travels up a major third to Palm D, then a minor third to palm F, another minor third to altissimo Ab, etc... the intervals just keep getting smaller. Do not bite down on the mouthpiece or reed, this is not the right way to learn this. But you do want to make sure that you have strong pressure with your embouchure around the mouthpiece. The second note middle F is usually the easiest one for people to get first. I would play F on your horn, hear the note in your head. Move your vocal chords as if you were going to sing this note. Then stop playing, finger a low Bb but keep hearing the F, keep the vocal chords in an F position and see if you can make the horn play F. Continue this with all of those notes. Some are easier than others. Don't get frustrated. Sometimes you have to adjust your throat position too. Experiment with that. Yes a mouthpiece with a higher baffle and harder reed will make this easier but you should be able to do this on any mouthpiece. Eventually you will want to play a low Bb and then keep going up the notes in the series without stopping. Your neighbors will love you. Write back when you can do some of this and I'll give you more exercises. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Lol thanks yeah that's what I was trying to say, I sorta forgot because I did those 3 years ago and haven't done that ever sense...but I never knew your throat had a whole lot to do with it? I was always taught to keep your throat open.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Kristy, I never thought about my throat much, but today I got out a saxophone, conventional flute, and bamboo flute. I noticed that my throat tightens slightly right above my clavicle as I go up the harmonics. I guess I always thought about maintaining my embouchure. There is a new reggae tune out now with a riff using those overtones. I can't get it out of my head. I'll be thinking about my throat for the rest of the day :) Terry

1. by knorter
          (205 posts)

18 years ago

Terry and Count, I remember Dave Liebman giving a masterclass once where he disagreed with teachers who said you could feel your throat, he said the only time he could feel his throat was when it was sore:) This is the only time I will ever disagree with Dave. The part of your throat where you can make that fake coughing ahem sound--I feel that I can control the opening of my throat at that point. This is where I think of opening my throat and with certain altissimo notes I actually think of closing it a bit--you know the trickier ones. The vocal chord positioning has the most impact on these notes. I think of it like playing a brass instrument where you have to hear the partials. All of this gets you 2 things: 1. The ability to place altissimo notes and have them speak on your horn. 2. This really improves your tone. That tone matching exercise I talked about at the top is intended to cover notes below the altissimo range as well. You're basically finding the optimum vocal chord, throat positioning to let that note speak. 3. A side benefit is being able to crack or split notes on purpose. Ex. Sanborn's high F# when he gets that grit in the sound. He's adjusting his vocal chords slightly and getting several partials at once. I was mostly an alto player through grad school, but picked up tenor when I got to NYC for work. Recently I realized I needed some more fundamental sound study on tenor so I've been revisiting the overtone series on tenor. It's something that you can take for granted after a few years. Kristy

2. by knorter
          (205 posts)

18 years ago

ok--it gets you 3 things:) see above for context

3. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Opening your throat up...i Know how to do that but i dont exactly know how to change it, I dont even realize if im doing it (if i am at all). That sanborn thing...I love that, my friend hates it though he doesnt even think anyone should do that, and some reason i can do that VERY easily on a dukoff + la voz reed...vandoren reeds i cant...oh well haha. I do that on accident sometimes.

Reply To Post AIM