Saxophone Forum

by SaxxyBubba
(5 posts)
18 years ago

Playing Altissimo

Hi! My name is Natalie and I'm 14 years old. I play alto sax in marching season and tenor in band. I have a piece I'm working on with altissimo notes in it, but I don't know how to play altissimo! How do I do it?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Playing Altissimo

Which notes are you stuck on? Dave

Reply To Post

1. by SaxxyBubba
      (5 posts)

18 years ago

I can't play any altissimo notes

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

I meant which notes written in the music you have that you cant get up to Dave

Reply To Post

1. by SaxxyBubba
          (5 posts)

18 years ago

It is a piece for tenor sax, and I can't get from F to C (all above the staff)

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by knorter
          (205 posts)

18 years ago

Scroll down 2 entries and read the posting I need Help With Altissimo :) Should be a good start for you. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Sounds like F3 to C3 which are on the std sax keys. High F play the aux F key with L-H c (aux f key is the pearl above l/h B) Dave

Reply To Post

4. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Just to make sure a high f and c arnt altissimo...maybe we're not all on the same page

Reply To Post AIM

5. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Thats what i was trying to find out as to which written notes she was referring to Dave

Reply To Post

6. by SaxxyBubba
          (5 posts)

18 years ago

DaveDix: I do not understand what you're trying to say with the various fingering references as I don't understand which fingerings you're referring to, but I know that a tenor does not have fingerings for these notes. One of them is high C- the second one above the staff.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Natalie, This stuff takes practice so don't try to do it overnight. You want to blow naturally. Your jaw and lower lip pressure will increase as you ascend the scale. You will get tired, so don't practice high notes for too long a period. You said all the notes are above the staff so I'm thinking F(4 spaces above the staff) to C(6 spaces above that staff. To ascend that will take practice, and to jump it ( F to C ) is tough !!!! Work at short intervals each day, and don't overdo it !!!! Good luck with that :) Terry

8. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Natlie, I reccomend the book high harmonics by Ted Nash. It has fingerings for alto and tenor. Later in the book it has exercises for develpoing control and flexibility; also scales, intervals, chords, chord changes, and chorus patterns. At the end are some way cool pieces to learn, like Dizzy Gillespie's Salt Peanuts. If you get through that book you'll be playing the game :) Terry

9. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Thats what i was trying to find out. F3 to C4 ain't for beginners, once you have mastered the notes on tenor then branch out to altissimo but take one step at a time, like jamterry says its hard work and tough on the jaw also you may need to go up in reed strength which can hamper you on the low notes, Practice and practice and they will come Dave

Reply To Post

10. by SaxxyBubba
          (5 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into that book and work on it as much as I can :)

Reply To Post Yahoo!