Saxophone Forum

by stray dog
(16 posts)
18 years ago

That Soprano Sound

I'm relatively new to the soprano, after many years of playing alto and bari. The ideal alto sound in my mind is Paul Desmond, and I've always tried to emulate his sound. I'm looking for a soprano artist to listen to who has a similar sound to Desmond's on alto. It seems that many soprano players have a rather thin and whiny sound. Who would you suggest? Thanks in advance for your replies

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

18 years ago

Re: That Soprano Sound

john coltrane on "my favorite thing" always comes to my mind first

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

18 years ago

In my opinion, Coltrane on soprano sounded nothing like Desmond on alto; He sounded like Coltrane on soprano.

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

18 years ago

to me i think he was asking what is equal in sound quality as far as not sounding like a tin can like modern soprano's. i agree trane was nothing like des but better than any soprano stuff you hear now.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

Wayne Shorter has a nice soprano sound.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

Check out a cat named Steve Wilson. The one album I know he's on is Jae Sinnett "Sinnett Hearings". Beautiful sound and he just SHREDS! Also a few players around in the Brazilian style that have a good soprano sound.

Reply To Post

3. by hightor
      (6 posts)

18 years ago

Check out early Steve Lacy -- He and Bechet pretty much had the straight horn to themselves before Trane picked it up. His tone islighter and airier that Coltrane's and nothing like Bechet's.

Reply To Post

1. by Tubby_Man
        (48 posts)

18 years ago

I'd say Kenny G myself

Reply To Post