Saxophone Forum

by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
(48 posts)
18 years ago

can't play any more???

i found out that i might not be able to play the saxophone anymore. i have got tendonitis from my shoulders to my thumb and it hurts really bad. is there a way that i might still be able to play???

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

18 years ago

Re: can't play any more???

if it's because of the neck strap, try a shoulder harness they use for bari's. i have a bad neck and i use it for my tenor and alto sometimes.

Reply To Post

1. by Mlenox
      (36 posts)

18 years ago

Bummer 1. Get a doctor. 2. Downsize: Switch to the saprano. 3. Get a doctor! 4. Get a doctor!!! Seriously there you may be able to start excercises or get a surgery or a weekly massage, or a new special harness or something. And if you can, try to get a Dr. who specializes in playing injuries. If you live near a city with a pro. symphany chances are there is a Dr. who specializes in musician injuries, because most players on that level are broken from over doing it. They wont addmitt it publicly because showing weakness can cost you your career, but they all secertly see Dr.s Good luck, Michael

Reply To Post

2. by mikesmodern
    (6 posts)

18 years ago

You poor girl. I had a friend who had shoulder problems and rigged a stand for his electric bass guitar where all he had to do was stand behind it and hold the fretboard and play. You could easily set up a similar stand for your sax and it would at least take the pressure off your shoulder, which could also alleviate the thumb numbness and/or pain. Best of luck to you!

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

18 years ago

what sax are you playing? How big are you? Does it just hurt when you play, or hurt all the time? I'd say downsize, (if the sax is getting as big as you), or talk to a teacher about posture and stuff. This "shouldn't" happen, and shouldn't happen to someone who is 14. I may be blowing smoke, but from what I know Tendanitus (spelling?) is caused by years and years of use, bad posture, and rapid movements. It also dosen't go away over the day, it will be there all the time. but again, I may just be making things up... I never really paid much attention in that class! (I was a lame duck, and took one last semster at college that didn't mean a thing) =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
        (48 posts)

18 years ago

I play the Bari and i am aprox. 5'5. my wrist hurts most of the time but they are worse after i have played for a long time. actually tendonitis is caused from repetion of some movements. could bad posture hurt my arms and wrist???

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Yes, bad posture can cause many problems. Some bari saxes also can have a peg attached to support the weight of the horn on the floor...you might check into that.

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

they make rolling stands you can place the horn on and ply from, the horn just stands straight up and adjust to play sitting or standing. I have a friend that uses it for bass sax. I personally use a modded guitar strap, but it probably wont help your problems

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by saxophonegrl_alto_bari
          (48 posts)

18 years ago

thanks. i think i will have to try that. i think that i would have problems marching with that though. aprox. how much does one cost? I didn't know that bad posture will hurt your wrists. i hope that this helps because my mom says that i won't be able to play this summer if my wrists keep hurting. So i hope this works!!!

Reply To Post