Saxophone Forum

by Jgarrett927
(10 posts)
18 years ago

What To Buy?

So I am looking at buying a new alto saxophone, but im not sure what to buy. Curently im looking at buying a Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series, I've played it and was impressed, but im sure there are better ones out there. Im looking for a kind of jazz feel, any opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks, JG

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: What To Buy?

By "Jazz Feel", do you mean that as in bright or dark?

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Jgarrett927
      (10 posts)

18 years ago

bright, but not too bright

Reply To Post

1. by Jgarrett927
        (10 posts)

18 years ago

bump

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

18 years ago

king super 20's are very jazzy, thats what cannonball adderly played on. but before you jump into a jazz horn, whats your experience, how old are you, and whats your future in saxophoning?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by p-land sax
          (32 posts)

18 years ago

I have nothing but praise for the king super 20. I've played on a beat up school tenor and still out played the other saxes on their new selmer sa 80's. That thing gave me a bright cut through sound that i really really liked.

Reply To Post

2. by Kitch22
        (98 posts)

18 years ago

First you must determine just how good of a horn you want and how much you are willing to spend. That would make it much easier. In any case, however, the best thing would be for you to demo a lot of altos. Kinda sounds to me like your interested in new horns; some saxes that I know to good, are Selmer, Yamaha, Keilwerth, and Yanagisawa. I'd stay away from Cannonballs; they're just a flashy piece of crap. I play a Yamaha Custom Z alto.

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

I've got 18 years of playing, spend 2 months looking for a horn and now own a 2004 Black Nickel Silver Keys Cannonbal. I would say with my background I would not buy a "flashy piece of crap" I agree the look of the horn was a consideration when I upgraded from my laquerless '49 6M Conn. I also wanted a modern spatula keys. I also could not afford to go over $2000 on a new horn(family,kids, part time playing). That's why after reading from several educated sounding sax players, I went to my local Sam Ash store and tried one out. I was very impressed. Esp. with the big bell sound and weight of the horn. I have had a mother of pearl (really just plastic) fall off but no other problems for 6 months of light playing. Metal resonators are a nice touch. I did end up buying mine used from another sax player so I am sure that aided in the quality pic. Sam Ash just wanted too much money. I did find through my reasearch to buy after 2001, the early years(97-01) were a little inconsitant in the technican quality. For me it's the best Jazz horn under $2000, the best overall horn in this price range is a Yamha 62. I played a 52 tenor in college and it's too bland of a horn for me. Great horn to rely on, just not unique enough in look or sound. The 62 is of course nicer, I just wanted something a little more. I am speaking of modern horns only, remember how the modern spatula was important to me.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Jgarrett927
            (10 posts)

18 years ago

How much does a Yamaha custom z cost? I'd like to look into buying that. I'm 19 and have been playing for 7 years. I really want a good professional alto. thanks so far for the advice. thanks, -JG-

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
              (255 posts)

18 years ago

Well doing a search on ebay 3 sold month. Bottom one sold for $1730 top one sold for $2395 I believe the 2395 one was new. Expect to pay 3 to 5 hundred dollars more at a music store. Hope that helps.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by MarkLavelle
              (300 posts)

18 years ago

I got a new Tenor 82Z at a store for $2700 (six months ago).

Reply To Post

3. by Jgarrett927
              (10 posts)

18 years ago

I'm leaning towards a 82Z alto. thanks all.

Reply To Post

4. by Tsaxkid
              (29 posts)

18 years ago

The 82Z altos are almost exactly the same as the 62 mk2 altos, the 62s just don't say custom on the side and there's less engraving. Also, there has been some talk about the 82Zs having better intonation, but from my experience thats between individual saxes.

Reply To Post