Saxophone Forum

by sebastian sax
(8 posts)
18 years ago

old saxes-need appraisal

I have 7 saxophones that i aquired for free....i was wondering if anyone could tell me what they are worth? the models are as follows. Alto Saxes Buescher Aristocrat SN: 327506 140; Conn 6M VIII A 305100 L; Conn 6M E 331351 L; Martin Handcraft 66858 Low Pitch(need a neckpiece for it); King 100872...Tenors...Conn 1119954 T M265506 L; Conn 47069 (M.J.Kalashen "The Yankee"-engraved on bell) If anyone could inform as to what the values are, or ointme in the direction as to where i could find the values, i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxHog
    (28 posts)

18 years ago

Re: old saxes-need appraisal

FREE??? Good for you, some nice horns here! From my experience there are many variables involved here. 1st, the horns condition, original lacquer, dents, pads,springs,missing parts, etc. all come into play for salability. I would get on Ebay and do a search in the saxophones in the -completed items - section and see what some of these are going for on. A reputable music shop might give you some idea also, but they are generally much higher in estimate. Also places like Cybersax, Saxgourmet, Saxquest websites have values listed. I guess it depends on where you want to sell them, if you are planning too. Ebay - read the above - a music store or one of these sites that offer their services to sell your horn for you, expect to pay 25% for consignment charges. I've been selling horns for the past 3 years and somedays you get someone looking for YOUR horn and will pay what the horn is really worth and you've got a sale, somedays, good luck! On Ebay a lot is timing unless you're selling a highly sought after model. I've given away vintage horns that have been totally reconditioned and play better than new horns and the next week the same horn goes for 2X as much. You got some nice horns here and it shouldn't be too hard to get a good price for them, with the consideration of the above qualifications. Like I said from my experience...hope this helps.

Reply To Post

1. by sebastian sax
      (8 posts)

18 years ago

thanks alot....when i get all of these horns in tip top shape i will select a couple to keep and play, and my brother and dad both would like one but that leaves three to do with what i please....so i just need to pick now...let me know if you or anyone you know is interested in any of them!!

Reply To Post

1. by saxHog
        (28 posts)

18 years ago

I mostly buy beatup horns with parts missing. I make parts, I have a full shop with all the tools. If you have a horn that is missing something or is beatup, I'm your guy. Which horns are you going to sell, how much,and I would like to see them, i.e. photos.

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

I like helping out and what the guy already said is a great idea, probaby what I would do, a "completed" advance search in ebay. But where did all these "free" saxes come from? I really don't like helping people that triped up and found 5 vintage saxes in someone elses's trunk. I am not saying you did that, I just wanted a little background before I offered up help.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sebastian sax
        (8 posts)

18 years ago

Hey....no i didnt jack the saxes if thats what you mean...they were donated to the school band, and everyone else looked at them and decided they didnt want them b/c they are "old" or "not shiny"...i however study with a man named bob davis who played on the lawrence welk show and with les brown....and he told me to keep an eye out for things like this....so i took advantage of the situation, and my band director said i could have them....so i have them...any other questions feel free to ask!! thanks...

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Lucky you have an vintage sax ignorant band director!!! Keep either the buescher 140 or 6m alto (both preferable) and the conn tenor, you are looking at a lot of money and the best tone around once up and playing also the BD might regret his decision when he hears one of them played Dave

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

Freakin Gave them to you? Must have been a collector donating them, thouse are pretty impressive horns. Can someone tell me what the viii stands foron the 6M. I thought it was when it had underslung octive, but my old 6M had that and I don't remember a viii on it. You have a 1942 6M and a 1948 6M, I would keep either, there both great years via collecting. Whichever one you like better, keep that one. They both have rolled tone holes that are a little hard to keep up with. Ask a repairman which rolled toned horn holes have the better condition one. The King Tenor is around 1925-1930, I believe. I have the serial number info posted on my web site, www.vintagehorn.com for easy access. I can't belive all your sax buddies didn't want any of them. I would have at least tried to play them before I turned them down. Enjoy the gold mine, that will never happen agian in your life hahaha. I would keep my favorite Alto and Tenor and sell the rest. Don't think your gonna get thousands of dollars each, only selemers get that. But you should still get a decent amount for each of them. What were your sax buddies playing to turn down these horns? I gotta know so I know how loud to laugh. They better all be playing Cutom Zs or Selmers to turn down these horns. All that assuming the horns don't have many dents or soder point on them.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

I think the 193 conn 10m tenor is the most valuable and about the best you can get Dave

Reply To Post

4. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Are you sure the '48 would have rolled tone holes? I thought they were discontinued before 1948.

Reply To Post

5. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

My research shows 48 was the last year. I personally owned a 49.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The 1948 6M does not have rolled tone holes. My 1948 10M which does not have rolled tone holes is serial number 331066. I believe the last serial number to have rolled tone holes was around 327,150.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by gnomadd
          (1 post)

16 years ago

I need an appraisal for a Selmer

I own a Selmer Modele 26 #5300's alto saxophone. I live in Texas and I wanted to know how to I know what this would be worth

Reply To Post