Saxophone Forum

by jazzdude482
(38 posts)
18 years ago

book or street smarts?

I really want know how to do improvisation and do it good so I've been looking around the forum about improvisation and chords, but after reading a couple of mini-lessons about music theory saxquest.com/forumThreadView.asp?ForumUID=8&ThreadUID=5302 (if you wanna see) is it really neccesary to know that stuff for improv? I've also read and heard about how all I need to do is listen to jazz and eventually I'll be able to play it. So right now I don't know if I should pick up a music theory book and start learning or just keep listening to jazz and eventually I'll be able to play it. Any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazzdude482
    (38 posts)

18 years ago

Re: book or street smarts?

I'm still saving for a music theory book and a James Aebersold cd, but for now Im doing some research on the internet. After learning what the symbols mean and chords there are I still am confused about a few things. These may sound like stupid questions, but oh well. 1) I understand the ii-V-I thing with the minor, mixolydian and root (correct me if I'm wrong), but is that just the guideline for the different scales and how do you know which note to start on? 2) (i know this one may sound extremely stupid) How exactly do you play the chords? Do you just play the triad and seventh and after playing it, do you just switch to another chord;or, do you go back down so it doesnt sound as awkward from practically leaping almost an octave into another chord? 3) Out of curiosity, how many famous saxophonists are clean and who? ( I dont mean to offend anyone, I'm just curious) thx

Reply To Post

1. by mikesmodern
      (6 posts)

18 years ago

Like many, you're asking how to improvise. In the case of the ii-V-I , learn the ii, V and I triads. Find a song that you can play along with in that structure and start by play the root note for each in rhythm, then gradually fill it out with all nine notes (all 3 triads). Play no more than those. Work on articulation and rhythm. Then add more notes. At this point, you'll be improvising. I don't get the "clean" question. Do you mean are any of us junkies? I can't imagine playing a saxophone high.

Reply To Post

2. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

18 years ago

Learn your theory. Find out all you can about how the music works. Otherwise you will be faced with a set of changes to read and you'll be lost. Knowledge is power.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

18 years ago

=) or you can be like me, know a little theory, and be lost anyway!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

18 years ago

question, if i can play a song from beggining to end, the song's in my head. but the piano and guitar say's " what key is it in" and i don't know. does' that make me a bad player????

Reply To Post

1. by mikesmodern
        (6 posts)

18 years ago

So find out what key it's in. Approach it in the simplest terms. As in, the key of C will be C, F, and G. Find out why the F and G go with C. C is the root. That's where the song starts. Don't worry about the associated minors, etc. for starters, just remember that a key is just a group of 3 chords. It sounds like you don't play a chord based instrument like the piano or guitar, which helps a lot. You would get a lot of that knowledge of how tunes are structured. You need some kind of structure as you are flying by the seat of your pants right now.

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

18 years ago

'if i can play a song from beggining to end, the song's in my head. but the piano and guitar say's " what key is it in" and i don't know. does' that make me a bad player????' No offense intended, but unless you prefer to play alone (in which case the question is moot), I think it does. I'm not saying theory should be anyone's main focus, just that we all need to communicate. Being able to talk intelligently about keys and chord progressions is an essential part of making good music together, in my opinion...

Reply To Post

1. by tsax_player
          (76 posts)

18 years ago

When starting out I believe listening should be your top priority. You need to learn how the music sounds before you pick it apart. There will come a time when heavy theoretical study will be required to advance to a new level. But for now listen and play along with the greats on recordings and you will absorb there sound. Later you can look at the theory of these players and understand how they approached harmony while playing.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

18 years ago

no mark i do play with others, just their songs, you see i can play anything they can. with out all the thinking, it just comes from years of hearing my dad play and teaching me to hear and play. i just wish i could grasp a little of the chords and progressions but no matter what books or methods i look at it is just overwhelming and am too old to start from the beggining. i do read to a fair level and play every week in church simple songs. just don't know how people claim to be thinking all this stuff and playing at the same time??? do you think coltrane did this when he sat with monk, don't think so cause monk was too nuts and so was his stuff. thanks for the input ill keep trying.

Reply To Post

3. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

I was afraid you were gonna take that too personally. You shouldn't feel any kind of bad about what works for you, but I really think it's wrong to advise other people to forget about theory. Like you, I don't believe any really good player thinks about the theory behind what they're playing while they're playing it. But I *do* believe that at some level (possibly unconscious) Coltrane always knew what chord was coming next, whether he could talk about it or not. I've been a mostly-by-ear guitar player all my life (we're apparently pretty close to the same age, and I'll bet you're *way* ahead of me on the reading), but I've always done both originals and covers. I have no doubt that you can spend a whole lifetime doing great covers without ever reading a note, much less learning any theory. But if you have musical ideas that you want to communicate to others you're going to waste a lot of time if all you can do is play it for them.

Reply To Post

3. by moose123
        (4 posts)

18 years ago

Unfortunatly every musician struggles with the concept of improvisation.The goal, however, is to find a propper balance of ear training and good old fahiion practice. Theory is the key to comunication between musicians. dont exclude it

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

"Theory is the key to comunication between musicians" Im going to keep that line, thats the best Ive ever heard it put. Theory can also help give you the basics that are necesarry to do improv. You've gotta learn how scales and chords are built. I dont think anyone thinks about them while they play, because it all becomes second nature eventually. I know my theory, studued it for a long time. But when I improvise, i dont think I just play, but you can hear where the theory has developed my knowlwdge of chrod structure etc

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dirty_Reggae
            (55 posts)

18 years ago

As much as anyone would love to say that they improvise without knowing your basic theory, it simply can't be done well. When it comes to jazz, you HAVE to know what all your chords mean, what scales to use over then, and how all those scales relate and thats in the very least. So in answer to your question, Yes. You have to know your music theory to be a great improviser. Sure, im willing to bet some can get by without out, maybe over a 2-change modal jazz song (impressions etc.) but they would simply fall apart over anything more complex then a II-V-I progession. Oh, and yes Coltrane and Monk both new tons and tons of theory. Coltrane was obsessed with scales and their relations and was constantly thinking about all the possibilities to play over his ridiculous changes (Giant Steps, Countdown). Thats why he has all the awesome harmonic ideas. It all comes down to theory. Improvising is theory. Theory is improvising.

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
              (397 posts)

18 years ago

thanks for the kind words mark, i do not advise against theory. would love to know how to figure it out, my brain just won't do it. i would like to encourage anyone like me to not give up, that you can play to a fair level without it if your ear is good and you can relate it to and get it out of your horn. i do know and can play any scale, been able for years, just can find anyone to explain chord theory to me. just can't seem to put it together, maybe it's too easy without it for me to sacrifice the time maybe im lazy.

Reply To Post

2. by Stiles B
              (101 posts)

18 years ago

I believe a practical balance is what is required to be a confident improviser. My mehtod of teaching was to treat soloing as part of a conversation between instruments. This would combine scales and patterns as well as ear training. More often than not, in my experience, if you can't sing it, you can't play it. So what I tried to get my students to do was build up a vocabulary of things to say musically. This would eventually lead to them exploring transcription and finding their own voice. What was that old quote? An old jazzer was asked if he could read music and his response was yes, but not enough to interfere with his playing. Can't remember who said that --Stiles

Reply To Post

3. by jazzdude482
              (38 posts)

18 years ago

..I replied to the wrong message so im reposting it down here FYI...I'm still saving for a music theory book and a James Aebersold cd, but for now Im doing some research on the internet. After learning what the symbols mean and chords there are I still am confused about a few things. These may sound like stupid questions, but oh well. 1) I understand the ii-V-I thing with the minor, mixolydian and root (correct me if I'm wrong), but is that just the guideline for the different scales and how do you know which note to start on? 2) (i know this one may sound extremely stupid) How exactly do you play the chords? Do you just play the triad and seventh and after playing it, do you just switch to another chord;or, do you go back down so it doesnt sound as awkward from practically leaping almost an octave into another chord? 3) Out of curiosity, how many famous saxophonists are clean and who? ( I dont mean to offend anyone, I'm just curious) thx

Reply To Post

4. by Seano
              (132 posts)

18 years ago

Jazzdude, you are doing the right thing with finding out all the theory, thats awesome. I started out using blues scales, which were ok at first, but using those made it so hard to learn how to read chords. Try not to rely on blanket scales when you improvise, learn to read changes as best you can.

Reply To Post

5. by kneejerk52
              (397 posts)

18 years ago

well i guess ill have to get off my easy chair and find a teacher who will take on an old fart like me. i guess it's partly a little embarassing to think i need lessons after all this time, but in order to commuicate and gain respect ill need to learn.

Reply To Post

6. by jing24
              (31 posts)

18 years ago

improv has alot to do with creativity and knowledge so i would buy the book but i would solo for a few bars and use a lick that i studied in my solo and scales are key in improv the better u have them down the better u play

Reply To Post