Saxophone Forum

by LukEE2017
(10 posts)
18 years ago

beggining oboe from sax

Hello, I am a tenor sax player and i am currently expanding my musical ability by learning new instruments, already with the clarinet. I already have a clarinet, but when I am going to buy a beggining oboe, I have no idea what brands are good! I just need to know a couple of brands that are decent, but wont break the bank. If you all could help me out that would be great Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: beggining oboe from sax

My daughter has been playing oboe for almost two years and her teacher has mentioned Fox the most. As I understand it, there's no reason to stay way from the plastic models, especially for beginning, but (just like the sax) you really want one with good mechanics if you're thinking long term. Since even the 'cheap' ones cost so much, you should really think about renting a mid-range one for a few months, while you learn your way around the instrument and form some of your own opinions about what's important. If you're within a few hundred miles, go to Forrest's in Berkeley. They don't even carry the low end, but they're *the* double reed store in Northern CA.

Reply To Post

1. by LukEE2017
      (10 posts)

18 years ago

What about selmer USA? are they any good?

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

18 years ago

No idea. But the fact that I didn't even know they make oboes probably tells you *something*... ;-)

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

I called up my friend Gary Chen at Stein on Vine in Hollywood, and he said Loree, Fox, Covey, and Yamaha are the main brands. Selmer is ok for entry level. Also I will refer you to this website that will tell you about selecting an oboe. www.oboes.com/selecting.html" target="other">www.oboes.com/selecting.html I checked it out and I learned a lot. By the way, have you considered renting until you are sure you like the oboe? All the best :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

Might want to ask on an Oboe Web site? Here your just going to get reed doublers or "I know what an oboe is" answers. Just a recomendation. It's like asking a tax accountant to fix your pc. He uses a pc, and he might know, but why not just ask a computer tech? Maybe a better question would be, does anyone know of "the" oboe web site? I don't, but I bet someone does here.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM