Saxophone Forum

by carly
(7 posts)
18 years ago

dont worry im new

hey, i've been playing alto sax for a couple of years now and i love it, but i'm still at school and haven't had the time to 'further my interests' in jazz until now. i was wondering if some of you knowledgeable guys could tell me where to start in terms of listening, as i don't really have a clue! i like most styles, but mainly jazzy and more upbeat pieces. thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxplaya81
    (110 posts)

18 years ago

Re: dont worry im new

LOL! Very good point carly, I tell all my students if you wanna be a great player you have to think like one. You've playing long enough to where, Coltrane, Parker, etc should not be to a challenge to you at all, I mentioned michael brecker, coltrane, and james carter, but some other guys you should check out too would be Cannonball Adderly, and one of my personal favorites maceo parker, you'll really like him, those two are more soulful/funk players. Another thing you should try, especially if you want to get deep into the music, is to buy the artists transcription books and read along and finger the notes with the recordings. Then practice by yourself working to bring it up to tempo.

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

where to begin... i could ramble on for hours on great CD's you need. first and foremost, im not a huge bird fan, but yardbird suite is a great album with outstanding improv. then of course John Coltrane's blue train and giant steps, 2 of the most influencial jazz albums of all time. kind of blue recorded by miles davis. the mingus 93' big band, Nostalgia in time square is my personal favorite of all jazz albums. pick up any sonny rollins album, they are all good. maynard ferguson's band has always had some good sax players, especially in the bari chair. woody herman, any album that has 4 brothers on it. thats a short short list, but should get you started

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

to really get the roots of modern jazz and start there though, you want to put an ear to "Body and Soul" By Coleman Hawkins, and move into lester young, then to parker and Coltrane etc

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry if what i'm saying is wrong, but shouldn't she just find a jazz artist that plays her type of music and just listen to that guy? Just an idea...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Seano
          (132 posts)

18 years ago

Count, Carly wants to be good at jazz. To be good at jazz, you have to listen to everything you can get your hands on. Sean

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

She may want to be more versatile than that---or she may not yet have settled on what her style is to be.

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Sax Mom, How was memorial day?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by carly
        (7 posts)

18 years ago

You really seem to know what your talking bout! thanks very much, that's a really good help. Thanks for your time, I'll know where to come when I have any questions!

Reply To Post

1. by carly
          (7 posts)

18 years ago

Ps. Countspatula don't mean to be rude but i'm not a music snob and wouldn't want to just listen to one person, no matter how much i liked their style.

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

I didn't mean just one person...I meant as many people that play the style you like...

Reply To Post AIM

3. by carly
          (7 posts)

18 years ago

yeh that's what i'm tryin to find and why im askin' you guys! thanks everyone for helping, i'm not downloading crap anymore!

Reply To Post

3. by saxplaya81
        (110 posts)

18 years ago

If u want more upbeat music, and more modern, i'd suggest listening to michael brecker, james carter, joshua redman, those are the guys blowin the roof off these days, well minus breaker recently, but I read that he's gaining strength back, still not enough to play his tenor but he is workin on some projects with EWI

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

A new listener doesn't need anything too complex. I would suggest some of the easy listening jazz. John Coltrane would go right over their heads, as would most of the other suggested artist. Start simple and don't worry either about the jazz history cats that I listen too.......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxplaya81
            (110 posts)

18 years ago

One of the ways to get better is to listen to people better than you, no matter how COMPLEX it is, once my students reach the intermediate level, I have them buy the omnibook and start playin out of it. Listening and playing complex makes you a better player and dramatically helps with technique, it's been proven by my students. If you want technique like john coltrane you're not gonna get it listening to kenny g, and the sooner you start the better.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
              (930 posts)

18 years ago

saxplaya81. Please read the original thread. This kid has no idea what to listen to. As for listening to someone better. Anybody who can play a Jazz solo is probably a good listen for a kid who dosen't know what to listen to. If they start listening to something too COMPLEX, it just drives them away. So if a kid wants to learn to play a jazz tune you hand him Giant Steps. Cool move! Kenny G. would maybe be a good choice at this point in his career. We dissagree but that's what makes a horse race.......Kelsey
              Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by carly
              (7 posts)

18 years ago

I don't mean to sound arrogant and I know you are very experienced yourself, but just because I'm young dosn't mean you have to dish me out the shit! I'm experienced enough to know that kenny G isn't, eh, the best in the business..I think no matter how little jazz you've listened to you can always appreciate good music when you hear it. I have been playing for six years and am in some big bands and am just looking for advice on something really good to listen to, as I've only been playing, and not listening, until now.

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
              (930 posts)

18 years ago

You do sound rude but not arrogant. After all, what have you to be Arrogant about? I'm sorry I bothered to help you as it seems that you already know all the answers. Have a nice day.......Kelsey
              Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

4. by saxplaya81
              (110 posts)

18 years ago

LOL! Very good point carly, I tell all my students if you wanna be a great player you have to think like one. You've playing long enough to where, Coltrane, Parker, etc should not be to a challenge to you at all, I mentioned michael brecker, coltrane, and james carter, but some other guys you should check out too would be Cannonball Adderly, and one of my personal favorites maceo parker, you'll really like him, those two are more soulful/funk players. Another thing you should try, especially if you want to get deep into the music, is to buy the artists transcription books and read along and finger the notes with the recordings. Then practice by yourself working to bring it up to tempo.

Reply To Post

5. by Seano
              (132 posts)

18 years ago

"Kenny G may be a good choice" It may be a good choice if you want to play adult contemporary, but definitely not the best choice for jazz.

Reply To Post

6. by carly
              (7 posts)

18 years ago

I'm 16 and what are you, 50? I am aware I have nothing to be arrogant about, but you clearly do. You shouldn't have bothered trying to help if you're going to reject any views that aren't your own. Thanks so for your help saxplaya81, it's exactlywhat I was looking for. I'll know where to come when I need more help!

Reply To Post

7. by TONY HOLLY
              (10 posts)

18 years ago

Listen to everything sweetheart,,,and it'll come to you. And don't think that you have to like Bird and Coltrane and all those guys because your supposed to. Keep an open mind and as I said...the influences will come to you automatically. Oh how I envy you your voyage of discovery that you embarking upon...enjoy...enjoy!!!!

Reply To Post

8. by carly
              (7 posts)

18 years ago

lol i will i will! thank you!

Reply To Post

9. by saxplaya81
              (110 posts)

18 years ago

No prob, here to help!