Saxophone Forum

by JeremyA
(28 posts)
18 years ago

a question about a Wurlitzer

I just found a vintage wurlitzer american c melody saxophone for $85. The pads need to be replaced and it needs some work. I am having trouble finding information on it though. Here's what's on the sax. patd. dec 8 1914 1119954 C p2725 L I have looked through a couple of saxophone history sites, but have not found information on wurlitzers. Based on similar looking models that I saw on ebay, I think that it is from the 1920s. Please help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: a question about a Wurlitzer

Its a conn stencilled horn from the 20's Dave

Reply To Post

1. by JeremyA
      (28 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you. I tried looking through multiple sites for information on serial numbers and I could not find anything on Wurlitzer. It needs some work, but it will be nice when it is done. Thank you again.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

18 years ago

You won't be able to date the horn via the serial number because it is a Conn stencil horn (that is, it was made by one instrument manufacturer for another company to put their name (or stencil) on to sell as their own line). The serial numbers on Conn's Stencil horn contracts don't run concurrent with known, published serial number lists of their regular, Conn line of horns. The separate records for these are missing/destroyed, making positive dating via the serial numbers impossible. I have a few Wurlitzer stenciled Conn horns, and they are usually much nicer than many stencil horns, with full engraving, Silver plate, full key work, heavy walled bodies etc. The only thing they lack are the rolled tone holes of the fronline Conn horns, typical of Conn stencils in general..

Reply To Post

2. by charless9833
      (7 posts)

18 years ago

SOME WURLITZER C HORNS WERE MARTIN STENCILS. I HAVE ONE THAT IS NICKEL PLATED & WITH A SHORT SHANK TENOR MP WITH A MED CHAMBER IT WILL OUT PLAY MOST TENORS. VERY GOOD INTONATION & THAT GOOD MARTIN SOUND.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

18 years ago

Right you are Charles, and the Martin C-Melodies were some of the best. In fact, there are three main camps currently that will avow that their choice for the best make/model of C-Melody is the best intonation/ergonomics/tone wise: Conn, Martin, And Buescher.

Reply To Post

3. by schildy
      (1 post)

17 years ago

According to my tutor, my Wurlitzer c melody is in fact a Martin stencil. Look at the holes. Are they rolled or are the shoulders soldered around the hole or not? If not then it could be a Conn which would have a "Mercedes" star as a guard over the B key pad. Gosh i hope I remembered that correctly

Reply To Post