Saxophone Forum

by Tutewiler
(20 posts)
17 years ago

Conn Director Tenor

I just bought a Conn Director Tenor Sax on eBay. The serial# is N205365. I've been told it's a "Mexi-Conn", but your timeline says it was made in Nogales, Arizona in early 1970. Then on another posting, it was said that Conn didn't move the Directors to Arizona until 1971. Soooo... My question is Where was this one made? Elkhart, Nogales, or Mexico?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Conn Director Tenor

I remember that Conns made in Mexico had Made In Mexico stamped on them. Go to www.drrick.com You'll find a complete list of Conn serial numbers and when they were made.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

Conn moved much of it's STUDENT horn production to the former Best Manufacturing plant in Nogales AZ as early as 1959/1960. These are often erroneously referred to as Mexi-Conns, but it is actually the later, 1969/70 and later horns that were actually made in Mexico, and as Swingstreet mentioned, have them stamped as such. With the N before the serial number, yours is a later, 1970 Director model, however by this date it doesn't really matter whether it was made in AZ or Mexico, as all horns of this date are relatively poorly made and not anywhere near the quality of Conn's golden years, Student horn or otherwise. They aren't generally well regarded mechanically (the keywork is clunky, goes out of adjustment due to sloppy fit and finish and soft metal, and overall assembly is poor), and our valued accordingly quite low monetarily. Conn's "Artist" line of horns (i.e. 6M/10M/12M/ etc.) were never made anywhere but Elkhart straight up to 1970 or so, when production of these pro horns was discontinued.

Reply To Post

1. by Tutewiler
        (20 posts)

17 years ago

Well, no wonder I got such a great deal on it. The mouthpieces were well worth what I paid for the whole thing. About an hour ago, I received the second Director I purchased on eBay, an alto with the usual "shooting star" engraving, and CONN USA above the bow. This one has me even more confused. The only numbers on it are 4XXX below the thumb rest. There's no prefix letter, and that's not enough digits. I have checked it closely with a magnifying glass, and it doesn't appear to have been altered. Any ideas as to what I've gotten this time?

Reply To Post