Saxophone Forum

by DRYHEAT007
(3 posts)
17 years ago

Old Conn Identification

Hi All.. I have a beautiful old Conn Saxophone marked Serial Number K63204. It says "CONN" on the lower piece and the only other markings are a bunch of stars shooting upwards and it comes in the original Conn hard case, also in great condition. Can someone identify this oldie as to the approximate age, type and other information....? Thank you....

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Old Conn Identification

You have a Conn Director model horn, popularly nicknamed a "shooting star" due to the engraving pattern. The K before the serial number indicates that the the horn was manufactured in 1967. These are student grade horns, and by this late date, the horn was made in Nogales AZ rather than the preferred Elkhart IN plant. This isn't really that old of a horn in the world of vintage horns, nor particularly valuable or rare. Cheers.

Reply To Post

1. by DRYHEAT007
      (3 posts)

17 years ago

Hi Saximyaxe... Thanks loads for the speedy info.. Would you know if this is an Alto, Tenor or something else Sax..or how one may determine this....?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

17 years ago

Without pictures to identify it, the quickest way would be to take a look at the neck: If it has a relatively straight neck, and the horn is around 23" or so in length it is an alto. If the neck curves in a swan neck fashion, and the total length is closer to 32" or so, it is a Tenor. A quick check on EBAY or any other on line source of photos will help you quickly identify the pitch of the horn. Best of luck.

Reply To Post

1. by DRYHEAT007
          (3 posts)

17 years ago

Saxismyaxe... great information.. I determined this to be an ALTO Sax. Thank you very much for the all the info on this Horn....

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

No problem, I'm glad I could be of help to you. Thank you and Cheers.

Reply To Post

2. by demrfixit
        (1 post)

17 years ago

I have an old sax Dec. 8. 1914 1119954 C 116872 L wonting to know info. about it ... it is in good condition...

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

1923 C-melody (between alto and tenor)

Reply To Post