Saxophone Forum

by dheaney
(2 posts)
17 years ago

Thoughts on the value of 3 Mark VI horns

I'm trying to get a good idea of the worth of 3 horns that I might possibly be selling. Any input would be great. Mark VI alto, #58,XXX - in great shape, overhauled 18 months ago, laquer is maybe %70 in tact, all original, just with typical wear and tear of a well used horn. It has a few modifications on palm keys and right hand side keys (build ups - can definitely be removed with a little work) Mark VI tenor #77,XXX - This horn was purchased brand new in the late fifties and was only played lightly for three years or so, hasn't been played since except when I tested it out recently. It looks almost brand new, has blue S on the neck, original laquer 99% in tact. Needs tune up and new pads and you'll essentially have a 3 year old Mark VI. Mark VI tenor #139,XXX - same situation as the other tenor, I purchased it from original owner who bought in '66 or '67, played it for a couple years and never touched again. I've had this one overhauled about a year ago, so it's in great playing condition. Also has a few build-ups on palm keys and right hand side keys from when it was overhauled. Also, I'm looking for a King Super 20 alto, so if anybody has one, let me know. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jtschaeffr
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Re: Thoughts on the value of 3 Mark VI horns

i AM very new to this sight and wondering if you could give me any pricing info on an old cg conn ltd sax

Reply To Post

1. by dheaney
      (2 posts)

17 years ago

Sorry, I'm not too informed about Conns, maybe start your thread about it, or try to look for similar models being sold and see what they're going for.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

Depends a lot on how old and what model. The condition will also be very important.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

A horn similar to your oldest tenor recently sold on eBay for over $7000, but with new pads. They were asking $10,000 for another late 1950's tenor in real nice shape, but I do not know if it sold. Your newer tenor could bring $4500-$5000. I'm not too familiar with altos, but I'll guess it would bring about $4000 or more. Do a completed listings search on eBay. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by jmm1713
      (3 posts)

17 years ago

Hello, I own horns similar to those and from what i know The mark Vi Alto would probably get about $5,500 the 77,xxx tenor in the $7,000 range and the later vi tenor about $4,700-$5,200 Hope this Helps J.N

Reply To Post

3. by GregLauer
    (37 posts)

17 years ago

what is your email address i would be interested in buying the 77xxx tenor sax if it was the original lacquer....... i would contact you to send me pictures. my 55000 mark Vi alto sold for 5500 and the shop in New York said it was a steal (undervalued by mistake) that tenor is worth some bread

Reply To Post

4. by vicentemontt
    (2 posts)

17 years ago

Im seeing a Mark VI Alto Sax SN 90218 Relaquered, how much do you think it should be paid for?? (the price is 4.300)

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
      (282 posts)

17 years ago

Hello Vincente. There is a lot of discussion in here about re-lacquering. The consensus from people who I suspect know the truth is that the thickness of a fresh coat of lacquer will not affect the sound. That being said, there is still a prejudice against re-lacquered horns - to the extent that many musicians are playing bare brass (or nearly so) and not protecting their horns with lacquer. I know what that brass will look like in 30-40 years, so I would choose to have a horn re-lacquered when needed. The stripping of the old remaining lacquer should be done chemically, as they would in a factory re-lacquer. So, how much for this horn? The answer is, it depends. Other than new lacquer, what is the horn's condition? If in very good to excellent shape, I would guess that $4300 might be a fair price. The serial number is in the highly sought after range. Find out if it sings sweetly for you before plunking down 4 grand though - right? Good Luck.

Reply To Post