I sub in a dance band led by a

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by eman19
    (131 posts)

17 years ago

Re: can anyone identify?

irvkms - The Carl Fischer is a Conn stencil from the mid 20's, and the EK Blessing Co. is probably a Buescher Stencil from the same time period. I'm unsure about the Velvet Tone.

Reply To Post

2. by STEVE GOODSON
    (291 posts)

17 years ago

How much do they weigh? That's going to be the best indicator of value of "no name" old horns. Take the value of brass and multiply by the weight of the horn.....anything you can get for them over and above that number is "found money".....

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

Steve Goodson, your answer surprises me. To reduce the value of a vintagee saxophone to the value of its metal, just because it isn't a popular brand is no better than doing the same to the newer brands on the market. During the depression, many instrument makers were bought out or died out--not for lack of quality, but lack of market. During the wars, simliar things happened. Bottom line, saleable value may not be high at all, sight unseen, or, more specifically, sound unheard. Yet, in the right place at the right time with the right people, if they hear a horn played well that has good sound, it might well bring much more than expected. If the person plays these saxophones regularly, and keeps them in good repair, I see no reason they should be worth only the metal from which they are crafted.

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
        (291 posts)

17 years ago

A horn is worth no more than what a willing buyer and willing seller can agree upon. I think you'll find that buyers for "no-name" old horns are very few and very far between. There's a lot of talk about them, but very, very few people actually step up and buy them. Ask any dealer who has been in the vintage horn business for a while....

Reply To Post

2. by Tbone
        (120 posts)

17 years ago

Come on Sax Mom, he does have a point. I've always felt the same way about some of the new Asian saxes like Unison or LA Sax! ;-)

Reply To Post

1. by Mactenor
          (102 posts)

17 years ago

I agree with Sax Mom. Consider this, a person played sax in high school and 20 years later, he or she wants to play sax again. They don`t even remember the name of the horn from their high school years and they come across one of these no name horns for sale. They slap a reed on the mouthpiece and blow into the horn and maybe produce a sound that is not too bad to their ear.They are excited and the horn works for them, and it is very inexpensive. As Sax Mom said "The right place at the right time with the right people".

Reply To Post

2. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

17 years ago

I think the original question was about value, and to me at least, that indicates money. Check it out, and you'll find that older, no name horns just don't draw many buyers, and the buyers they do manage to draw pay very, very little. I note with interest that none of the established dealers in vintage horns maintain a significant inventory of old, no name horns, in spite of the fact that they are in plentiful supply.

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Value is subjective. A horn is worth more to one person than it is to another. You may note in one of my earlier posts I mentioned "saleable" value, which I admitted might be quite low. On the other hand, if this fellow is wondering about replacement value for insurance purposes, the value would be significantly higher--if the horns produce good sound and are kept in good repair. My Conn 6m is worth more to me than a Selmer MkVI--I wouldn't trade. Like I said, value is subjective. It all depends on who wants the horn, if anyone.

Reply To Post

4. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

17 years ago

whatever.....................

Reply To Post

5. by oorwullie
          (21 posts)

17 years ago

i've never heard of any of the makers, sorry! but i do like the obscure stuff if it's heavy.

Reply To Post

6. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

17 years ago

My good horns will fetch about 15 times what i paid fo them. For that reason, I bought sone cheap horns to take to Asia with me.Michelle I won't trade with you :) Michelle you have valid points in your posts. Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ