I have always thought its the

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Expensive sax not required??

Recently, I've tried a number of lower cost alternatives to expensive saxes. I always use my Meyer 5M mouthpiece when trying them. It is now possible to get a cheaper sax which sounds fine. I recently tried a number of those Chinese made saxes and while they're not bad, still don't cut it. However, the stuff from Taiwan now is quite amazing really. I tried Antigua Winds and I have to say, that they sounded as good as anything I've played that costs much more. Beautiful hand engraving too. I'm going to add soprano and tenor to my arsenal, which I've always wanted to do, but couldn't because of cash restraints. Now I can get both of these for less than one alto sax made by the big 4, and they sound and play great.

Reply To Post

1. by saxitup
      (49 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Expensive sax not required??

I bought a Jupiter Sop a few years ago and I have been very pleased with it. I went into the store intending to buy the YAS 62. Cost was not a factor. The jupiter sounded equally as good as the 62 in the sound room and on tape. Since I am primarily a alto player, it made sense to go with the jupiter at 1/3 the cost. I really think the Taiwan horns have come a long way. I will likely buy a Cannonball or Unison Tenor in the near future.

Reply To Post