My kid is 12 and has been play

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by musician4life13
    (2 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Which Horn?

i don't know about a vintage tenor. but i'm a tenor sax player myself and i would suggest the yamaha YTS-82Z Custom tenor sax. it's not vintage but it's awesome. and you can never go wrong with any yamaha or selmer.

Reply To Post

1. by daddymack
      (8 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for your reply... but he would like a vintage horn, and the horn you mention is way out the price range...

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
        (343 posts)

17 years ago

Of the horn's that you mentioned, I would reccomend a Buesher Tru-Tone. You didn't mention the Conn 10M. That's a nice vintage horn, but $1000 would be a really good deal. I don't know what you're gonna find in the price range you gave that's of any quality, so if you wanna get something that isn't a total piece of crap, I would suggest you expand your price range to maybe around $1000 if you can afford to do so.

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
      (343 posts)

17 years ago

Oh, and you can go wrong with Yamaha and Selmer. Yamaha makes a fair number of duds and the Selmer factory is like dud-land.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

17 years ago

I've never played a bad Buescher before... ;)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Phil taylor
          (1 post)

17 years ago

Hi. I have a Buescher true tone low pitch alto sax serial # 170927 (no case), playable and in quite good condition. Some of the silvering as gone on the back. I purchased this sax in 1954 and then played it for about 4 years. the pads could be original. Could you give me an idea what the sax may be worth.

Reply To Post

2. by daddymack
          (8 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks everyone! I have a 1963 Buescher I am going to buy (pre-Selmer).. less than $500 restored. you just made my mind up!! thanks!

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

17 years ago

honestly, for that price i would be surprised if you could get a decent student horn. if hes only been playing for a few years, odds are hes not ready for a vintage horn. he wont have the capabilities to control the intonation or other factors associated with such horns, especially if you get one in that price range. you get what you pay for. i played vintage for a while and mine cost me 2500(alto) and thats on the lower end of the price spectrum.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

17 years ago

King (Super 20 and Cleveland) and Pan American (or any other Conn stencil). Or a Buescher stencil. I have a Silvertone that I paid $400 for and it works really well. Also, as the Count said, I (too) have never played a bad Buescher.

Reply To Post

1. by daddymack
            (8 posts)

17 years ago

Oh and the Buescher is an aristocrat... less than $500.00 seems to be the going price... I wanted to be sure pre-selmer because I heard the Selmer change made a difference.. and the 63 was really last year from what I could tell keeps it on the edge of vintage ...

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

17 years ago

Sounds great. I think the aristocrat has better intonation than a true tone. Hopefully it's in good condition. And hehe, $2000 at the bottom? I bought the best horn I've ever played for $1800 (Buescher TH&C).

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Sax Mom
              (964 posts)

17 years ago

I got my Conn 6m for $150, but that was several years ago...

Reply To Post

3. by daddymack
              (8 posts)

17 years ago

Here are a couple pictures... looks pretty good to me... i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/daddymacklv/done_14.jpg

Reply To Post

4. by daddymack
              (8 posts)

17 years ago

5. by saxismyaxe
              (575 posts)

17 years ago

Absolutely a fine deal on a wonderful horn. Bueschers were still quality horns right around the Selmer buy out. It took awhile for the quality and marketing switch to degrade the Buescher name and products. This MIGHT be a re-lacquer, but at that price for a restored and playable horn, unless the horn has had the absolute bejeebers buffed out of it, who cares? Should be a magnificent sounding and playing tenor.

Reply To Post

6. by daddymack
              (8 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I did buy it and should have it early next week :) I am probably just as excited as my son will be when he opens it up!!! The serial number is.. 387077 I think when Selmer took over they started numbering at 100000 with some other mark, then a few years later started numbering at 400000 from what I have been able to find out.

Reply To Post

7. by saxismyaxe
              (575 posts)

17 years ago

Your horn was made between 1963 and 1964, so it is still a fine horn. Your son should be happy, and has a far better horn than many of his peers, to be sure. Should he desire, he can continue with this same horn throughout his career without missing anything one would want from a horn.

Reply To Post

8. by daddymack
              (8 posts)

17 years ago

I received the horn and it is beautiful!!! wow.. a very nice instrument... might be a re-llaquer.. not sure though.. the serial number and engraving is pretty good... but who really cares?? hehe Now.. I am thinking... Ottolink hard rubber mouthpiece or possibly the NY.. about a 6 for him as a good place to start... any other suggestions??

Reply To Post