Why Conn Transitional models a

I've got a Tenor Conn Transiti

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Why Conn Transitional models are such a desired horns?

One of the reason that the transitional models are so popular is that they're the first models where the bell keys are on one side, and it begins to take on some of the characteristics of the 6M while retaining some of the characteristics of the Chu Berry or New Wonder models, which are awesome sounding horns. For many players, it's the best of both horns.

Reply To Post

1. by Joe Bananas
      (71 posts)

17 years ago

Now i'm even more confused.Dear SwingStreet, my sax have the holes in both sides of the bell...here i give you the exact serial number and if you can, please, tell me wich model is, if it's a desirable one and why.Thanks mate. It's a Tenor Silver T M247515 L

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

17 years ago

Your horn was made around 1931 or early 1932. Some of the early transitional models had split bell keys, but check for the art deco engraving, which makes it a transitional. They are great sounding horns. Just the other day I tried one which had been relacquered without buffing, and the key work was tweaked, and it looked and played like a brand new horn. It kicked the ass of the 2 Selmer references I tried.

Reply To Post

1. by Joe Bananas
          (71 posts)

17 years ago

Dear SwingStreet, thanks a lot for the nice news. I was just feeling lost about what i was putting in my mouth.Now i'm a little bit more concious of the power i can reach through my sax. Sincerely, i'm a complete ignorant in terms of sax knowledgement, i was playing in an "Arbite" Tenor Sax (i think it was Chinese) and in an Elkhart Soprano one (another piece of scrap) and then, one of the most beautiful days in my life, a group of friends gave me the Conn one...great, no?...it was just like a brand new one, fully restored...great!. Thanks, Mate!!!.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

Joe- I understand there were only about 20,000 of the Art Deco engraved Conn transitional models made, with perhaps 60% or more of these being altos. The serial number you give places it in 1931, so it should be one of these rare tenors. Unfortunately, that does not mean it is necessarily more valuable than the late Artist/Chu Berry or early 10m models. Please see www.cybersax.com for some pics of a #247xxx tenor for sale. Good Luck.

Reply To Post