I just bought a Conn N1234XX -

Hey, I'm interested in saxopho

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

17 years ago

Re: I just bought a Conn N1234XX - can anyone help?

you should ask before you buy not after sorry to say better to take it to a good tech. and let him look at it

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

Hi and welcome to the world of the Saxophone. What you have purchased is doubtless a Conn Director or nicknamed "Shooting Star" (due to the engraving pattern on the bell) horn. This is a later, 1970 model made in either Nogales, AZ, or Mexico (it will be marked accordingly if it is the latter). These are student horns of so-so reputation, and not worth a great deal of money. Unfortunately, you say it is likely in need of a repad and adjustment, which will easily cost more than the horn is worth. Given this condition, you paid about what the horn is worth, maybe a bit less.

Reply To Post

1. by uncapher
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

Great, thanks for the information. Is it possible - despite my complete lack of knowledge - to repad, with some research, by myself? Is it simply time-consuming, or is it definitely something to be left to a technician?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

I've acquired the skills (and tools) over the years to repad and do the full adjustment required in the process, but this isn't something that the neophyte can reliably hope to do, even by a long shot. There is a reason why $30.00 worth of pads cost $250.00 or more to install. If you would like to begin to learn the art of woodwind repair, start simple on a donor horn, and work your way up from there.

Reply To Post