I am looking at purchasing a V

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Conn 6m alto sax

These are GREAT horns. They are some of the best sounding altos ever made. What price is the seller asking? Anything under $2500 is a really good deal, $2600 to $3500 is pretty average and anything $3600+ is really expensive.

Reply To Post

1. by Christian Anderson
      (73 posts)

17 years ago

I've seen these sell for less than $1200 without the rolled tone holes, which this one probably doesn't have. If the lacquer is original and mostly present then it would be worth more. I've never seen a straight tone hole 6m, even silver for more than $2000.

Reply To Post

1. by jsadams
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

This one is on ebay right now, bid is at $405. It says lacquer is 95% original, and does have the rolled tone holes. Check it out under "Viintage Conn 6m alto saxophone, sn3210xx, excellent" (The misspell of vintage is what they have.) Someone is going to get a sweet deal, too bad it won't be me! Thanks for all your comments. I am looking for an affordable sax for a talented beginning student, so this was a little over budget.

Reply To Post

1. by mingusfan69
          (9 posts)

17 years ago

(Ebay is not usually the best place to get horns but disregarding that) If there is a reasonable buy it now, do that otherwise that $450 horn will skyrocket at the last second for waaay more than its worth usually.

Reply To Post

2. by mingusfan69
        (9 posts)

17 years ago

I have a con 6M (DOB 1936-7). Its a great horn all the 6m's are versatile in their sound. You would be happy with anything around 1200-2500 USD. If you get one make sure that you have a mouthpiece that is suitable for the horn, For that kind of horn you want something with a large chamber and baffle. Most people would recommend a Ralph Morgan piece.

Reply To Post

3. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

17 years ago

You have to be careful with rolled tone hole horns though, because if any of the holes are warped ( like some of the ones on my new acquisition rev.D alto ) it can be very time consuming, therefore costly, getting them flat so they seal. With straight tone holes it's a much simpler proposition.

Reply To Post