Modern mouthpiece for old Amer

Two months ago I bought a Conn

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Modern mouthpiece for old American Sax? (Conn)

A C* isn't atrocious on a vintage horn? wow. I'd recommend an old Link or Berg in the vintage department, or a Morgan if you want something newer that wont cost as much.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
    (653 posts)

16 years ago

if you want something newer, try a rousseau JDX, play it on my chu berry alto, killer mouthpeice

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

16 years ago

You will need to go with a large chamber, low baffle mouthpiece regardless of make/model/vintage MP with the Conn 10M. Intonation issues abound when attempting to use most modern, small chamber/high baffle pieces on these horns (and many of your vintage makes/models).

Reply To Post

1. by belgiumguy
        (4 posts)

16 years ago

Yes , I have some intonationdifficulties with my Selmermoutpiece. Especially with the low E and below. Should I look at the "popular" mouthpieces like Berg Larsen,Meyer, Otto Link, Lebayle?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

16 years ago

Three pieces that you will find compliment this horn beautifully would be the Otto Link STM and HR, the JJ HR*, and the Morgan Jazz "M" model to name but a few.

Reply To Post

2. by jetrotter
        (1 post)

16 years ago

I have found Riffault pieces to work nicely on my Martins.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

16 years ago

I've been playing a 1948 Conn 10M for more than 20 years, and I have tried several different mouthpieces that just didn't work for me. Vintage horns like the 10M were designed to work with larger-chambered mouthpieces with longer shanks than are found on most of the mouthpieces available today. Most of the Otto Link mouthpieces work well with older horns. For a hard rubber piece, I recommend the Tone Edge. Another great mouthpiece for a nice mellow sound is the Meyer "G" Series mouthpiece, which has a large chamber similar to the vintage Brilhart Tonelin mouthpieces. For a bold, brassy sound, either an Otto Link Super Tone Master metal, or a Jody Jazz ESP metal will get the job done.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by belgiumguy
          (4 posts)

16 years ago

And would you suggest a metal or either a rubber moutpiece? I was searching the net and I was just wondering or the other members of the Naked lady/ladyface family (Artist, M series) are just as good as their tenor(10M) and alt(6M) brother/sister. For instance, if I want to play(and have) a curved Soprano should I take the Conn 4M curved soprano?

Reply To Post

1. by stevo
            (17 posts)

16 years ago

A Conn is a Conn . I say yes . Stevo

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Good question. Conn 4M sopranos are very hard to come by these days. There were very few of them made. The New Wonder Series II straight soprano saxophones were a great horn in their day, and seemed to have better intonation than the earlier Series I curved sopranos and the later curved 4M soprano saxophones. Soprano saxophones are much harder to play in tune than either an alto or a tenor, and while tenor and alto saxophones have more room for error, intonation is even more critical with soprano saxophones. I have both a New Wonder Series I curved soprano and a New Wonder Series II straight soprano, but the only soprano sax that I play professionally is a Keilwerth SX-90. The reason being that the Keilwerth plays so much easier, has much better intonation and a better sound overall. Conn 6M, 10M and 12M horns are wonderful horns with very good intonation and amazing tone, but I would buy a more modern soprano.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by belgiumguy
              (4 posts)

16 years ago

But would you totally discommend buying a vintage Curved Soprano? Or just the 4M...and what about the other American soprano saxes(like Buescher, Martin, king).

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

16 years ago

I would recommend a straight soprano over a curved soprano; new or vintage. They generally have better intonation and they're easier to play. The 4M is not a bad horn. For a vintage curved soprano, they are about as good as you're going to find. But, like any vintage horn (especially sopranos), they can be fussy and tempermental. If you want a curved soprano with superb tone and intonation, consider a new Yanagisawa. You'll have a lot easier time with a new soprano vs. vintage. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!