Does someone know wich sets us

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxyboy
    (52 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Wich sets they use?

If you search through the discussion threads, you will see a web address for (I think) the Lamont School of Music at Denver U which has a really interesting page devoted to collecting set-up info on a lot of saxophone pros. If I have time, I will try to find it and bump it up near the top. I think the discussion was in the Equipment category. Incidently, Zoot Sims had not made their list the last time I saw it, but I heard he (mostly) played a really old Selmer for a tenor (Cigar Cutter?) along with a black hard rubber Brilhart mouthpiece. Look up that site -- quite a bit of info there.

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
    (279 posts)

16 years ago

I think Hank Mobley played a king super 20... 'no room for squares' is a fantastic album.

Reply To Post

1. by Joe Bananas
      (71 posts)

16 years ago

I heared that Dexter Gordon used a Tenor "Lady face" Conn Tenor first combined with Berg Larsen and after changed to Otto Link (different openings along his career; 4, 5, 6 & 7) mouthpiece.Later he received as a gift from Ben Webster the Selmer Mark VI wich he used for the rest of his career.Ah!, at some point he used Rico #3 reeds. In my opinion he has one of the greatest sounds ever.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

16 years ago

Dex wrote great tunes too. and his playing was always honest and educated, like Joe Henderson, and Bird. Joe had a great tenor sound.

Reply To Post

2. by carltonjazz
      (25 posts)

16 years ago

Dexter used a dukoff hollywood for a really long time....."our man in paris" is the album that defined that sound. Chris Potter has a mark VI silver plate that was made in france originally for the french army(no engraving). He changes set-ups so much you'll never know, but when i saw him in NY he was on a dukoff, when i talked to him in NY he was hanging a hard rubber vintage RESO chamber Link, and when i caught him in boston he was on and old metal florida link. He changes reeds all the time also so who cares. Ornette coleman changed a bit as well but he was very well known for the plastic saxophone. Coltrane was a balanced action selmer guy with an assortment of mpcs but a lot of links/NY links. Wayne was a big conn guy. Now he's sponsored by someone, I cant remember but he also play on Lebayle Mpcs. Sonny i believe is hittin a Mark VI right now.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

16 years ago

Trane switched to a VI after they came out. in his (super?) balanced action days he played a soloist for a while. the SBA tenor is a magnificent horn.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

Charles Loyd plays on an old Conn..uses a really old link, and #4 reeds..Joe Henderson played on an old Selmer soloist. They all sound so fine...

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
            (653 posts)

16 years ago

Parker played... uh, i dont think anybody knows all the setups he played

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
            (279 posts)

16 years ago

himself included :-]

Reply To Post