Saxophone Forum

by Feathers
(5 posts)
16 years ago

Trying to find out the age of my Buescher tenor sax

Hi guys. I just got out my sax after 20 years. Gosh I have missed it. I found this place and started wondering how old my sax truly is. I know that I got it in 1979 when I was a freshman in high school. My Dad bought it for me from an old timer sax man and I know it was 'aged' then. It was the best sounding sax I'd ever heard. Just beautiful. I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out. The serial number has this as in an arch pattern: 108847 Then underneath it, it has: S-40 I'm looking forward to seeing if I get any responses. I will keep this baby til the day I die, but now that I'm older I was just curious. Thanks a bunch!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Trying to find out the age of my Buescher tenor sax

That would be a 1922 Buescher True Tone saxophone. Great horn!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Feathers
      (5 posts)

16 years ago

Thank you so much! I had another person tell me the same thing via email just this week. It is a great horn and just as sweet sounding as could be. I will not be parting with it until the day I die. lol

Reply To Post

1. by Feathers
        (5 posts)

16 years ago

I was just talking to my Dad (he's 82 now) and told him about the year of the sax. He told me that he paid $75 for it back in 1979. He was curious what it was worth now. I told him I'd never sell it, but I'd see if someone knew what it was worth. Thanks again for the info!

Reply To Post

1. by Feathers
          (5 posts)

16 years ago

Also should have said that I have the original case as well! It is amazing

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

16 years ago

I get a lot of emails about the value of saxophones, and I really don't know how to answer many of these questions. The market isn't what it was even 3 years ago. I've seen a lot of really nice horns sell for well below what they are worth. I blame it on a struggling economy and an abundance of new inexpensive Asian horns. I have a friend who is a repair tech. We've restored several vintage horns that he has sold at his shop. When he sells a vintage instrument, they've been professionally cleaned, polished, and in some cases re-lacquered, all new springs, corks, pads, felts, etc. Most often the cases are in bad shape and they are sold with new cases. A silver plated Buescher True Tone Tenor of the same vintage would bring $2000-$2250 three years ago. Today, the same horn in the same condition might bring $1200. For this reason, we haven't done as many restorations. Still, it's worth considerably more than the $75 he paid for it!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Feathers
          (5 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for the info. It will give him quite a giggle as it did me. This sax will continue down our generations. Thank you again. Nancy

Reply To Post