Saxophone Forum

by saxmanken
(1 post)
16 years ago

need info on this sax please.

I have a sax that I bought at a yard sale. I took it to the local music store and had a new cork put on it. The guy there said it is from 1967. I expected it was much older. Below are the things it has on it. CG Conn M197682 A (above) L (below) patent Dec. 8, 1914 #119954 Made in Elkhart, IND based on this info can anyone tell me is it 1967 or is it older and what might it be worth?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

16 years ago

Re: need info on this sax please.

based on that, id say early 30's. check my "second cool link" for exact year. after the local guy told you it was from 67, did he offer to "take it off your hands?" gotta love local "all instrument" repair shops. the ones ive seen employ some random gui-tar player who couldnt tell a yamaha from an original "adolph sax" horn... worth is entirly based on condition.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Re: need info on this sax please.

He was off by 40 years! It's a New Wonder Series II alto sax made in 1927. The value really depends on the condition as Cuber said. Silver was the most common finish. A silver plated horn in good, playable condition is worth $1200-$1500. Some horns were gold plated with elaborate engravings and these are worth considerably more.

Reply To Post Yahoo!