Saxophone Forum

by zeekman116
(27 posts)
14 years ago

I need a new mouthpiece

Hey guys. I have been searching for a new mouthpiece. I'm in my High School's jazz band and need an upgrade from my piece of crap yamaha. i have seen Jody Jazz, Otto Link, SR Tech. Help me out here

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

14 years ago

Re: I need a new mouthpiece

Do you play alto or tenor, maybe bari??? That would make a difference as to what I might reccomend....Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by zeekman116
      (27 posts)

14 years ago

o wow. im sorry. i wasnt even thinking. tenor

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

14 years ago

I play a Gaurdala MB11 or a Dukoff 8D on my tenor. I use Rico Jazz reeds 2M with either mouthpiece. I have an old Mark Vl tenor and like this set up pretty well. Probably the Dukoff is a better all around piece and is less money.............Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

well if youre playing any classical, chances are dukoffs are too bright (at least on altos, im assuming the same holds for tenors) Id try a meyer or an otto link.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

wow.... just noticed this is in the jazz subforum... ok, disregard what i previously said

Reply To Post

2. by LC
        (25 posts)

14 years ago

In my humble opinion, Gaurdala's and Dukoff's are garbage. How can you possibly suggest an 8D to a high school student? If the student can play an 8D in tune at ppp and fff then I would say it is all good. How many do you know?

Reply To Post

3. by MartinMods
        (63 posts)

14 years ago

They are great mouthpieces on a Mk6 and modern saxes for certain styles of music. When I was in Junior High, my private teacher recommended the Berg Larsen 110/2 as the best all-around tenor mouthpiece for just about anyone, any age. That's what I used throughout High School as did many of my classmates without any unusual intonation issues. That is the same tip opening as the MBII. The Dukof 8D is only .005" larger, and with a 2M reed should be no problem for any average High School tenor player in a Jazz Band, with proper guidance.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by LC
      (25 posts)

14 years ago

Are you sure that your Yamaha is a piece of crap? Do not assume that a different mouthpiece is the solution. What so you need? More volume, more projection, better response, better intonation? In my humble opinion these things cannot be accomplished by merely "upgrading" to a different mouthpiece. If you can make that Yamaha 4C sing you are on your way.

Reply To Post

1. by zeekman116
        (27 posts)

14 years ago

well, i have gone to quite a few solo competitions and scored real well on the yamaha 4C. So I need better projection and response to make sure im holding my ground in the jazz band at school.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

Cuber, The kid said he plays tenor. Nothing was said about classical till you chimed in. I said that "I" play a dukoff and a guardala and like them both very much. I don't believe that either is junk and I can't really respect the opinion of some new member who thinks he's god's gift to the saxophone. It might be better if my fellow members would read what a question was before they give their BS answers...Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
            (653 posts)

14 years ago

kelsey, if you notice in my next post... posted literally 2 minutes later... it says disregard what i previously said i wasnt aware that i was bashing dukoffs or guardalas. or that im some new kid here. or that i thought i was the reincarnation of parker himself. Um, LC, have you played on a 4C? because what youve said leads me to believe you have not played the mouthpiece. ever.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
            (930 posts)

14 years ago

Sorry Cuber, my comments were directed at LC!!!
            Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by zeekman116
            (27 posts)

14 years ago

OK. So once again, I feel that my 4C is not delivering enough sound and projection. Is the response problem my fault, or is it really time for a new mouthpiece?

Reply To Post

4. by cuber
            (653 posts)

14 years ago

my apologies kelsey zeekman- get a new mouthpiece

Reply To Post

5. by zeekman116
            (27 posts)

14 years ago

ok, thank you

Reply To Post

6. by LC
            (25 posts)

14 years ago

zeekman: Try as many as you can. Most music stores have generous trial periods. kelsey: Do you not respect my opinion because I am a new member or because we do not agree?

Reply To Post

7. by kelsey
            (930 posts)

14 years ago

LC, You jumped on me because I play a Dukoff D8 and a Guardala MBll mouthpieces!! The kid was just wanting to know what people might recommend!!! There may be better mouthpieces for him around, those are the ones I play and I like them on my tenor. I haven't any idea about you or what your ideas are, I just felt I needed to defend myself.........Kelsey
            Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM