Saxophone Forum

by Reburg99
(2 posts)
11 years ago

1905? Conn Alto Sax

Hey guys,

I'm new to vintage saxes,  I picked up this sax and am trying to find out more information on it.  From the infromation I've been able to obtain so far I belive it's a 1905 but I've not been able to find much infromaion on that year.  Every set of pics I see just confuse me.  The serial number is 10824.  I've uploaded a few pic and will post hi res ones over the weekend. Is there any specific pics that will help identify what model this is?  Please let me know if you need any other information

thanks in advance 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

11 years ago

Re: 1905? Conn Alto Sax

Welcome to the saxophone.org forum. This is actually a late 1960's-1970's vintage student model Conn saxophone. The serial number chart you used to pull up the 1905 date is used for C.G. Conn Ltd. saxophones manufactures from the turn of the century up until about 1960. In excellent playing condition, these saxophones sell in the $500 range in today's market.

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Reburg99
      (2 posts)

11 years ago

well, I'm bumed it's not older(and had a feeling it wasn't).  It's still has nice tone and is very playable but it could use a pad job and some TLC.  What is the best way to date vintage saxes?  It seems as thought the serial numbers can be misleading. 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

The most complete and detailed serial number chart (along with model descriptions and historical info) is at Saxpics.com.

According to that site your horn is from the early 1970s, when Conn was producing their horns in Mexico.  Those horns are not highly regarded and have less value than the equivalent model produced in the USA only a few years before.  Figure a couple hundred for the top value and take that into consideration when deciding how much you are willing to invest in repairs.

Reply To Post