Saxophone Forum

by cycles
(42 posts)
11 years ago

Conn 10M

This is a problem that I have never had with any sax, and I am hoping someone has had experience with a similar problem and can possibly advise me. I am in the process of changing my Tenor. From YTS 32 to a 1948 Conn 10M. The reason being I love the Conn sound, not that the Yamaha is bad, just the 10M is more what I am looking for.  The Conn has had a full overhaul, and the ring strap moved down a bit. I don't have a problem getting used to the ergos, but I have a problem with a very heavy action with the octave key. eg playing top C no probs, but without the middle finger to counteract pressing the octave key. ie. when playing C# it's impossible to hold the sax in my mouth. Without using another strap attached to the neck screw to hold the sax in position. The other problem is the palm D key when pressed pushes the sax way off to the right. Pressing my RH pinky on the C key is not enough to counteract it, and it is forcing me to hold the mouthpiece  with a vice grip, which is totally crazy. Apart from the stiffness of the keys, I get the feeling that it is also about the balance of the sax  and possibly with the position of the ring strap, but as mentioned it has been moved. I realise that it needs a tech to help with fixing this problem, but I am interested to hear if this is a common problem with the 10M. Thanks in Advance for any input.

PS. Changing to a lighter spring on the palm D key is not a big help and still pushes the sax to the right, which makes me think the ring strap is not working in its present location. I am using the saxholder as a strap, which was perfect with the Yamaha. The Yamaha would balance perfectly and allow me to use the keys freely and without undue movement.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Conn 10M

Palm D is awkward because it is low against the Eb.  I had a tendency to push the key away from the thumb avoiding the Eb until I put a riser on the D.  The dynamics of the push against palm D should be more stable with a riser.  That also makes the move between palm D and the front F notes cleaner because of the increased clearance between palm D and Eb.  Marine epoxy putty is great for building risers.  Another way to gain stability is to make a larger thumbrest over the thumb pearl with epoxy putty.  Contour it a little and you will have the best thumb rest in the world.  With those mods there is enough stability for palm D without pressing the octave key that it is now my most used fingering for D2.  

Sounds like your octave mechanism is oversprung.

Keep the strap ring where it is.  An up-adjusted strap puts more of the load on your neck and less on the shoulders.  There is also more tension because of the angle of the strap. 

Reply To Post

1. by cycles
      (42 posts)

11 years ago

Much thanks . GFC . And great pointers for me.  and I would just like to add that the issues I have at the moment are small compared with the playing satisfaction I have with this Conn 10M.

Reply To Post

1. by cycles
        (42 posts)

11 years ago

@ GFC. I took your advice to use the original strap ring, so I shortened the cord on the saxholder strap, so I could, which was the problem using it in the first place. And the balance of the sax was perfect. the octave mech is also improved, with a more upward pointing thumb.
        I could probably be happy with it as it is and with time get used to the setup, but I will follow your other suggestions. Thanks again.

Reply To Post