Saxophone Forum

by tranefan
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Any Info Or Opinions On York Saxophones

I just bought a 1922 York saxophone and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the york saxophones brand ... Any info or insight would be appreciated .....Thanks Lee

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mossite
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Any Info Or Opinions On York Saxophones

Most of the York saxophones are stencils, means, they have been produced by other big saxophone manufactures as Conn, Buescher, Martin etc. York has produced their own saxophones until ca. 1920. So check the typical signe. Does it have the Conn mercedes style keyguard, or the Buescher Finn etc. If you have some pictures, post the link and I can tell you, who has made this horn. If it was made by Buescher, than it is the Truetone model, Conn=New Wonder, Martin=handcraft. All great horns.

Reply To Post

1. by tranefan
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7304077948&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6 here is the link to the ebay .thanks for all the help

Reply To Post

1. by mosplace
        (26 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I´d say it is a Buescher Truetone stencil and a c-melody. That´s at least how it looks to me.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

I thought Yorks were made in Grand Rapids, MI - or maybe they were just stenciled there.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Looks like a tenor to me. My guess is that it's a Buescher stencil. Sax Maniac is right about the Yorks being made in Grand Rapids. The original Yorks were, but they were not a very good horn. The later Yorks were made by Buescher or Conn. This looks like a Buescher to me. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by mossite
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

I´m pretty sure it is a c-melody. Have a look at the fourth picture, there you can see it pretty clear. The bell is higher than the left hand table. If you look at a tenor, you can see almost the whole table. I would bet it is a c-mel. Have a look at this link, here you can see the direct comparison between an tenor and a c-mel. saxwelt.de/index.php?module=ContentExpress&file=index&func=display&ceid=295&meid=261

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Good observation there mossite! I took a quick glance at the picture and got called away here at work. At first glance it looked like a tenor, although I just read the entire ebay ad which gives the dimensions. The sax should be stamped "C" on the back near the serial number if it is in fact a C Melody, which I'm sure it is. The sax measures 25 inches long with the tenon plug. That would most definately be a C Melody. It looks similar to a Buescher True Tone, but after taking a second look I have doubts about that also. I live in Michigan, and I'm also familiar with Grinnell Bros. My grandmother worked for the Grinnell Bros. piano factory in Holly, MI for a while. Grinnell sold a saxophone made by York called the Wolverine for a while. My great grandmother bought one for my great-uncle. Not the greatest saxophone from what U understand. They were patterned after a Buescher True Tone. Some of the later York models were Buescher Stencils from what I understand, but they made their own horns for a while. If this model is a 1921, it might have been one of the last horns built by York. The finish leads me to believe that it is probably built by York.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by Bridie
          (1 post)

17 years ago

I have recently purchase a silver C Melody saxophone, Wolverine made speccially for the Grinnell Brothers and was trying to find out about it. I have played the flute for years and this is my first venture on the saxophone. If you have any further information I would love to hear it,

Reply To Post

6. by jazzbrass
          (5 posts)

17 years ago

Wolverine tenor sax

Now on eBay a Wolverine tenor sax ( Item number 290151081648) made in Elkhart # P 18716 L Patent Dec .8.1914 1119954 C Would somebody know of which stencil it acts? See the gallery picts : web.mac.com/mjean2/Passions/Instruments_Passions.html

Reply To Post

7. by jazzbrass
          (5 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Wolverine tenor sax erratum

Reply To Post

8. by mosplace
          (26 posts)

19 years ago

connsaxman_jim, c-mels are my passion. I love these sleeping beauties, I simply think they are great! and way underappreciated. It could be that this sax is a "real" York. I think they ordered the parts from all other manufactures and put it than together (some kind of Frankenstein :).) They aren´t that bad. I think they stoped producing their own ca. 1920, so this could be one of the last ones. The sax doesn´t neccesarily have to be stamped with a "C". I think only Conn used to do this.

Reply To Post