Saxophone Forum

by bariguy
(25 posts)
19 years ago

Jazz Tenor

Hi, I play second chair tenor in my high school jazz band. I currently play on a Couf Superba 1 tenor and use a Selmer D mouthpiece. I was playing my Otto Link NY 7 but my director said i could not use that anymore because my sound didn't fit in to well. None of the other saxes use jazz mouthpieces and thats the problem. But i cannot stand playing jazz on the D, plus i have a few solo's. Would any of you have any mouthpiece or other recomendations for me? thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jazzpath
    (19 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Jazz Tenor

You might want to try out the hard rubber mouthpiece that ottolink makes. It's very good for tenor (I don't care for it on alto) ..open chamber allows for a lot of versatility in your sound. It's called the "tone edge" though that's sort of a misrepresentation. It's dark, blends very well in a section, and isn't nearly as bright as the metal version. To start, probably go with a medium size like a 6 or a 7. I played on one of these all through high school and most of college (long time ago) and really enjoyed the flexibility it offered. Good luck..

Reply To Post

1. by bariguy
      (25 posts)

19 years ago

cool, i'll give it a try thanks.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

19 years ago

you may also want to try a meyer 5, its pretty sweet