Saxophone Forum

by Mike C
(2 posts)
19 years ago

York soprano sax from Grand Rapids,Mi.

I bought a Sax that was made by York in Grand Rapids,Mi. I'm told that it is from the early 1920's it has 1 less button on the top register.It seems to have a pad on the bottom that doesn't do anything but stay closed. no linkage seems to open it, it can open, but it doesn't seem to open by pressing any of the keys . It also seems to play only up to the high c . anything over that it will just cut out. plenty of air but no sound.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by wcumark
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: York soprano sax from Grand Rapids,Mi.

Well, I have a York curved Soprano Sax as well -- bought it in 1998 and fully restored it -- and it is true that it is most likely from the 1920s. As for the pad that doesn't move, I can't help because mine is fully functional -- the only trouble is the metal for the octave key is so thin it bends easily. Otherwise, no problems. If you want to find the approximate year it was manufactured, go to

Reply To Post AIM

2. by chn0205
    (1 post)

16 years ago

Re: York soprano sax.

I have a straight York Soprano that I bought several years ago. Mfg about 1932-33. Plays well in fact I will play this weekend in church with a choir. Only problem, top F does't speak very well. Maybe that is me.

Reply To Post