Saxophone Forum

by Suzanne
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Identification of CONN alto sax

Can anybody help identify the model and possible value of my saxaphone. It is a CONN Alto , the number is 2971 It is in good condition, and I do still play occasionally. The side of the horn is engraved CONN USA

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by ChrisHildy
    (1 post)

16 years ago

Re: Identification of CONN alto sax

I have an Underslung Silver Plate Conn Lady Face that I haven't picked up for over five years now and am looking to sell. The dealer I bough it from has now closed and i'm having trouble putting a value on it. The only detail I have is a serial number of M267379A, and the fact i bought it for £900 in 1999. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Need some more info on the alto as the number you have given means it was built in 1897.Can you post a picture or what else is engraved on the bell and is it split bell keys or same sided ? Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Suzanne
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

The number is the only marking on the back The bell has an engraving of some stars, and CONN USA I do not know what split bell keys would look like some photos are now available

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Thats a Conn 16M(I believe thats the alto from that time, I dont want to look that part up right now, and Someone will get me if Im wrong anyway, lol) But its the 16M "Director's Model" and is often called the "Shooting Star series because of the engraving. From what I remember about Conn serial numbers, the last 2 digits are the year, so the horn is from 1971, but I think there should be more to the number. Jim, askin your opinion, you know the Conns better than I do!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

It's a 14M. the 16M was the tenor. Judging by the serial number she provided, I think this might be an early 1963 model. In 1963, they used a "C" prefix, and I think she is not including the "C" in the serial number. It doesn't appear to have sheet metal key guards, so I believe it is one of the earlier models. In 1963, Conn switched from the wire keyguards to the sheet metal guards.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Suzanne
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the info so far. The only numbers on the back are 2971 there are no other marks. unfortunately I have been unable to photgraph this as the markings do not show on the photograph. the sax was given to me by John Denman back in the 70's and I have played it ever since. .

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

It's not a 1971, as a 1971 Conn would have a prefix of "P" and a much higher serial number. I am quite certain that his horn was built in 1962-1963. It is definately a 14M Director's model alto sax, and it appears to have the wire key guards instead of the sheet metal hards. The 14M was first introduced in 1955 and made until 1970 when it was replaced by the 18M.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by mdavila
        (2 posts)

15 years ago

Can anyone help me identify or get any info about a Conn Sax serial number NI0350 or MI0352? It has a bow engrved. Thansk.

Reply To Post

3. by newgirl
        (1 post)

15 years ago

Hi i need help identificating my conn alto sax, the #N 29931. also i would like to know what a posssible price would be.

Reply To Post

4. by Zeniada
        (3 posts)

12 years ago

I have a conn sax that has stars on it so I am assuming it is the shooting star series. It says usa on it too. The serial I think is L26311. Can anyone tell me this alto saxophone and is it any good? Would it be worth repairing?

Reply To Post

5. by WGati
        (3 posts)

19 years ago

Can you tell me the value and date if this instrucment?

Conn Alto Saxophone I just won a Conn Alto Saxophone. This saxophone is in good used condition and comes complete with mouthpiece and hardshell carrying case. Serial number is N159555. Pads look to be in fine condition also.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Can you tell me the value and date if this instrucment?

That would be a 1969 model. WGati. Does it have the shooting stars engraving on the bell? If so, it's a Directors Model 14M.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by WGati
            (3 posts)

19 years ago

I think so and if it does, how much do you think it would be worth?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

$250-$$500, depending on condition. The Conn Director's models made in 1969 and after really are not worth all that much.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by maxpower840
              (1 post)

15 years ago

I have a old Conn Alto I think from the 40'S 26M VIII and the id # is 300847. Is plays great and has a topless lady on the bell. Do you or anyone know anything about this model,year, and worth please get back to me it is priceless to me but I am curious of its value.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'm sorry, I said 1969. The "N" is the prefix for 1970. This would indicate that the horn was made in Nogales, Arizona and not Elkhart, Indiana The value would be $250-$$500, depending on condition. The Conn Director's models made in Nogales in 1969 and after are not worth all that much.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by WGati
            (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for your help

Reply To Post

4. by ninthtime
            (1 post)

19 years ago

I was wondering if anyone could help me along similar lines.. I just picked up a Conn tenor in excellent condition with shooting stars-- all gold color plating-- keys and body. It's serial also begins with an N and it says "Mexico" below the serial. However, the serial number pre-dates the above alto: N105626. Even if it is a Nogales, I'm cool, b/c I didn't overpay and it sounds good and is in excellent condition, i.e. 99% laquer, seems like a closet horn. Can anyone tell me the year or anything about the horn? Thanks! -ninthtime

Reply To Post

5. by sherman213
            (1 post)

16 years ago

I have a Conn USA Alto sax, but i cant find the year it was made, or the value of it. Can some one help me? the serial number is E71183. It has the usa sign ingraved in it.

Reply To Post

6. by wtroxell
            (1 post)

15 years ago

I have a Conn Alto Sax that I received in '81. It has all of the original pieces including the hard case and mouth piece. The pads do not look to be cracked anywhere and the cork is still present on the neck and mouth pieces. There a few very tiny mars in the finish but no dents or large blemishes. It has the CONN engraving on the bell and what I believe is the S/N: N129566. I'd love to know what it is worth.

Reply To Post

7. by cuber
            (653 posts)

15 years ago

not much, as far as saxes go

Reply To Post