Saxophone Forum

by barisax999
(400 posts)
19 years ago

alto jazz mouthpieces

im primarily a bari player and recently i realized how much i need to start playing alto. i know metal mouthpieces well. however as everyone know, no metal on alto. so other than the meyer whats a good rubber jazz mouthpiece for alto?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

Re: alto jazz mouthpieces

Jody Jazz makes good hard rubber jazz pieces. Also Vandoren Java or Jumbo Java, or Super Session are good mouthpieces too.

Reply To Post

1. by mojocoggo
      (97 posts)

19 years ago

I agree. The JodyJazz mouthpieces are excellent jazz pieces. I have one for baritone, with a spoiler, and this week or next, I am getting the JodyJazz Hard Rubber alto piece.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
        (55 posts)

19 years ago

Wow. It looks like there are a lot of fellow JodyJazz players on these forums. The HR* and Classic are great. Even though almost all metal mouthpieces sound horrible on alto, Jody's ESP series is AWESOME. But, I can't afford one, so back to my Link and my JJ Classic I go.

Reply To Post

1. by spifster
          (67 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah try the Otto Link TOne Edge. vEry flexible pitch, variety of sounds, though it can sometimes be picky about lig and reed combos. i plan on ordering a jodyjazz hr* soon also. Whats the real difference between the hr* and the classic?

Reply To Post

2. by saxybandgeek_88
          (10 posts)

19 years ago

I've never even heard of a the HR*. What is it?

Reply To Post

2. by Paduano
        (16 posts)

19 years ago

A HR* is just a hard rubber mouthpiece. Anyways, there are many hard rubber jazz pieces that you can use. One is being a Rico Royal Graftonite. They are quite good. Surprisingly, it is probably the best mouthpiece out there for it's cheap price (duh). A few more include Vandoren's new line of mpcs, Claude LaKey and Berg Larsen.

Reply To Post

1. by Peepin728
          (17 posts)

18 years ago

I play on a Bob Ackerman custom mouthpiece. He came to my school (William Paterson University) and i tried out about 30 different pieces. He has pretty much any size you want, and has many different brands. Just to name a few, he has Otto Links, Selmer Soloists, New York Meyers, and his own custom pieces. Check him out, he'll probably have a mouthpiece for you.

Reply To Post

1. by altosax4ever
            (8 posts)

18 years ago

Has Anyone thought about the Vandoren ligature with the c* mouthpiece with the jazz plate? I've used it with a friend's Selmer series II and It's incredible. It plays great, and it's even got plates for other types of music,

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
              (312 posts)

18 years ago

the only problem with that is i feel the C* lack projection like you have no idea.. u may think "hey, it plays loud".. it may play loud.. but its incredibally dark and rounded.. it doesnt cut at all.. so you might be able to be heard.. but u wotn be HEARD! ya kno?? I personally work with a Selmer E Soloist.. which i think works a lot like a C* but with more projection and a lil more darkness ( which i could do without ).. so then i team it up with a stock lig and it give it a nice lil edgy buzz.. my sax teacher let me try one of his mouthpieces.. he plays on a meyer..with a Mark 6...... but he just got a Claude Lakey to play in big band.. and that thing is amazing.. it is loud as hell and super super super bright.. almost piercingly bright.. but team it up with a rovner dark lig and its absolutely amazing..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The C* is the tip opening size. There are a variety of Selmer mouthpieces with a C* facing, but most of them are designed more for legit playing. For jazz, rock, funk, and blues, you're going to need something with a more open tip for better projection and volume, and better tone. Metal pieces are more popular for tenor than alto. Here are a few suggestions based on price. Under $50 Rico Royal Graftonite B5 or C5. Both have a fairly open facing. The C5 has a larger chamber and is better suited for jazz. These pieces sell for around $20. They're very good for the money. Under $100 Otto Link Tone Edge 6* hard rubber. This is one of the best mouthpieces I have ever used on alto. They sound fantastic! They're a great piece for a vintage sax like a Conn, King, or Buescher too, because they have a large open chamber. Meyer 5M. The Meyer is very similar to the Otto Link. They also have a fairly large chamber. They have a slightly different feel. There are many great hard rubber pieces for less than $100. These are my 2 favorites. I really haven't tried too many others. Over $100 The quality of the Jody Jazz pieces are very good. I use an ESP metal on tenor, and it has a very powerful sound. Of course, playing a 1948 Conn 10M has a lot to do with that too, but this piece really works well with the 10M. I want to try a Jody hard rubber piece on my alto soon. They're definately worth looking into. The Peter Ponzol mouthpieces are also very good quality Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by barisax999
              (400 posts)

18 years ago

i play on the jody jazz hr tm on my alto and that thing projects. i could play over my full piece jazz ensemble if i please. i dont obviously, but if you want projection thats rubber, go jody jazz

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM