Saxophone Forum

by barisax999
(400 posts)
19 years ago

hippy sax player

all right, so this is a pathetic question i know, but im curious. i am a vegetearian hippy, and i dont agree with the use of the leather. however, saxophones use leather pads. so are there any good pads that arent made out of leather?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by brace_face
    (43 posts)

19 years ago

Re: hippy sax player

heya barisax999, im pretty sure you can get cork, plastic, or synthetic pads (that dont go all smelly or moldy when they get wet!) im not intirely sure though, but yeah, thats my answer of brilliance! mmbibi stephanie

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

there are a few other options, but leather is by far the best! I would just stay with the leather pads and hug a couple more trees.... Peace! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by peter090
        (155 posts)

19 years ago

There was a guy named Jim Schmidt that made a metalized sax pad. I've never used them but I think you can still get them from musicmedic. JS pads. They are expensive and I suspect difficult to work with.

Reply To Post

1. by dirk-lo
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

I thought those just phased out right after they were introduced because they were the noisiest thing ever. Eric :-)

Reply To Post AIM ICQ

2. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

yeah i can imagine! Leather and synthetic pads make noise at it is! Metal would sound rather awful unless they had some kind of new system

Reply To Post

3. by brace_face
          (43 posts)

19 years ago

iv never actually played with a synthetic pad- how much are they, what are they like, are they easy to find?

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

In the past, they have made a few different types of pads, The most common are the felt pads, which just don't hold up very well at all. They have made vinyl pads also. Some of the cheaper horns use them, and they don't last either. It almost seems like I recall seeing rubber pads also. Sax Medic may offer some alternatives, but really, the leather pads are the best. I can understand and appreciate where you're coming from here, but i wouldn't compromise the performance of my horn, just to avoid leather pads. Just imagine that the pads came from a mean cow who busted through his fence and ran out into the road and got hit by a bus! Peace!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by barisaxguy14
          (14 posts)

19 years ago

I just wanted to correct you jim. Most pads are made of goat skin, not cattle.

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Some are made of goat skin, some are made from kangaroo leather, and others are still made from cows! It just depends on the quality of pad. I put white kangaroo pads on my old Conn Chu's because they're quiet. They work really well on horns with rolled tone holes.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Many pads are made from lamb skin also. In fact, some of the better pads are made from lamb I do believe.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by barisaxguy14
          (14 posts)

19 years ago

I just wanted to correct you jim. Most pads are made of goat skin, not cattle.

Reply To Post

9. by Spank
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, listen to the guy that calls a "cow" "he"..... ;-) (Just kidding), speaking of that (kid),you can use those - not necessarily "farmed", nor are Kangaroo pads farm-harvested. Of course knowing the Aussie record for conservation.....

Reply To Post