Saxophone Forum

by rob07
(38 posts)
19 years ago

Higher Education

In at my jr. year at senatobia h. school, and im seriously thinking of majoring in music. Are there any specific colleges or institutes that focus on jazz and blues genre of saxophone playing. Thanks, Robert

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by rob07
    (38 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Higher Education

sorry, computer screwed up, didnt mean to post 3 times

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

I suggest that you study Music Education, so that you can teach if your jazz career goes awry. You need to learn to feel the music. Jazz cannot be taught. However you can learn scales. modes. intervals, chord spelling, and phrasing. You will study theory in music school which will help you in those areas. Blues scales are very simple.Get your horn and jam with a blues album. That will give you a foothold toward playing jazz.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

19 years ago

If you really want to blow some jazz, learn the diatonic modes and chord spelling. Sometimes i get in a tight spot in a jam, but i can dig my way out because of saturation. Go on an expedition every day with your horn. Fumble and stumble all over that horn!!! You will find stuff that works for you and THAT stuff you practice.

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

19 years ago

Drive fifteen miles north(U of Memphis) and ask to speak to Jack Cooper. He's the director of jazz studies there. That school has produced such musicians as Mulgrew Miller, Marvin Stamm, Doug Wamble, etc....Between Jack Cooper and Allen Rippe(the classical instructor), you'll have the opportunity to really grow...

Reply To Post

1. by rob07
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

phathorn, do you think that your studies in classical music help you become a better jazz player. And what college did you go to study it.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

19 years ago

When i say saturation i mean that i played those scales and modes ao many times that they are my own. I hope you go to musuc school, but you should jump on blues and jazz now. Jam with the jazz you like, and you will get familiar with those riffs.

1. by rob07
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

im already jamming a new cd i bought, Dizzy Gillespies alumni band "Things To Come" It has some great sax solos on it thankx for the replies.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Rob, Diz was as good as they get. Keep up the good work :)

3. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

Hi rob, To answer both questions.... 1: without a doubt 2: that school 15 miles north of you (although much of my study was with Don Sinta during the summers)

Reply To Post

4. by rob07
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

isnt don sinta up in michigam, i think a place called interlochen

Reply To Post