Saxophone Forum

by mttsaxman
(16 posts)
19 years ago

Conn Wonder vs. Buescher True Tone

I am considering two horns...a Conn Wonder made in 1917 and a Buescher True Tone made in 1926. Both are silver plated and appear to be in excellent condition with no dents and all original finish. Can anyone tell me the basic differences in these two horns and how the sound will differ? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn Wonder vs. Buescher True Tone

Go for the buescher true tone. A conn of that age is just a bit long in the tooth thou will play very well but the t/tones are just amasing Dave

Reply To Post

1. by mttsaxman
      (16 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks...they're both beautiful horns. I've never actually played either one of these, but I almost want to get the Conn just because it is such an early serial number and is really in amazing shape. Since I've never played a Buescher, let me ask you...I have heard that the Conns of that period give a bright jazzy sound, whereas the Bueschers are more mellow and better for classical. Would you agree or not? Thanks for your insight.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

I would say the conn has a darker sound then the buescher. I have a conn new wonder and a true tone and the buescher is definately brighter sounding and with better ego's and intonation Dave

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The True Tones have a better intonation over the early New Wonders. The New Wonder Series II, or Chu Berry are a little better than the series I's, but the True Tones really sing! Dave is right about the sound too. The rolled tone holes give them a warmer, darker tone. The Bueschers are a little brighter and don't sound as stuffy on the high end. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Jonathan_sfyee
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

You should try them both and figure out what is it that you are looking for in a horn. I tried both back to back and they were both great horns. The Buescher seemed easier to play and more to my liking. I love the tone of the Bueschers as they are more mellow and sweet compared to the Conns. The Conns seems to have a bigger sound and better projection. The Buscher True Tone is also cheaper compared to the Conn Wonder. I would go for the True Tone for its comfort and sound, but that's just me. Best way is to find out for yourself. If you can, go to a shop where you can get to try them back to back. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post

1. by mttsaxman
          (16 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, thanks for everyone's input on this...I'm just a weekend player, and I don't know much about vintage horns, although I am getting quite the education in the past few weeks. Your comments have been very helpful. I really think I'd like both of them! Does anyone have any comments on what year seems to be the best for Conn horns and Bueschers? This Conn is probably one of the last Wonders made before the New Wonders came out (1917?), and it's in great shape (95%+ on the silver plating) so it seems well cared for. I may get it just because of that and go ahead and get a Buescher too at some point. Anyway, thanks again to all for lending yourconsiderable expertise. I appreciate it.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
            (421 posts)

19 years ago

The wonder will not have the top front F key but the buescher should have. 1926 was a transitional time for buescher as they added the F key and the half moon G# key instead of the pearl. Be careful of the conn. There may be a reason it hasn't been played a lot and make sure it is a low pitched horn as conn made both. All bueschers are low pitch (A=440) Be quite honest i would not touch the conn (and i love conn saxophones) and i would grab the buescher with both hands whilst bringing my knee up swiftly Dave

Reply To Post