Saxophone Forum

by ecw31180
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Conn 10m serial number

i just bought a conn 10m with a serial number 327111L which doesnt make sense because ive never heard of a conn serial number ending with an L? It also says 10M PAT. APPLD. FOR B anyone have any idea what year its from and if its worth being restored?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by booker
    (1 post)

11 years ago

Re: Conn 10m serial number

Hi everybody. It's my first time posting, and thanks in advance for your help.
    My Tenor sax, A Conn 10M, 325xxx, has a litlle "V" engraved after the serial number. Anyone knows if that means anything?
    thanks again, Booker.

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

327111L - www.cgconn.com shows it produced at the end of 1947. One of the last 6Ms to be produced. The 6M pros start the next year. Does the bell have a naked lady on it? The 6M is normally called "Naked Lady" because of this artwork. The "L" Stands for Low pitched. Alot of Jazz players like the low pitched horns. I personally do. Some Legit players say they are hard to tune. Concerning restoring it, your not going to really turn a big profit. Depending on the restore, it might cost as mutch as the horns is worth to restore it. At the most they sell for 1200-1500, unless in prefect shape, then they tend to go for more to collectors. Saw a Chuck Berry Tenor (New Wonder II) go for 2600 on ebay but it was perfect looking.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Djassoo
      (3 posts)

12 years ago

"The "L" Stands for Low pitched. Alot of Jazz players like the low pitched horns. I personally do. Some Legit players say they are hard to tune."

This guy above doesn't know what he is on about. Avoid his advice, it is, again, the blind leading the blind.

Yes. L means Low Pitched.

Jazz players like them sure BUT so does everyone INCLUDING CLASSICAL "LEGIT" PLAYERS because these are the ONLY ones that play at the current A=440 tuning standard. High pitch (H) is an antequated tuning system and those horns are only really good for lamps, pub walls or harvesting for mechanical parts. Unless of course you have some sort of bizarre high pitch saxophone quartet.

AS for tuning they are NOT necessarily hard to tune, especially if they have been set up correctly, but vintage horns such as these do have different tuning characteristic to modern horns more of a flexible "intonation vs slotted intonation" (saxaholic) but this is a good thing if you have good technique. They may however be a little more idosyncratic when it comes to pairing with a mouthpiece.

Is it worth fixing up? I say definitely, especially if the neck is in good condition, but it is not necessarily something you can make much money on unless you are the one doing the work. BUT you will get a nice horn!

Reply To Post

1. by Djassoo
        (3 posts)

12 years ago

And... CHUCK BERRY!!! .... seriously....  if you didn't laugh you would cry...

Reply To Post

1. by Djassoo
          (3 posts)

12 years ago

Wait... why is a 7 year old post taunting me like this???? Weird... it was at the top of whatever pile i was in...

Reply To Post

2. by ecw31180
        (3 posts)

18 years ago

thanks, for the reply. Yea its a naked lady model 10m, i was thrown off by the L at the end but that makes sense now) i dont know alot about the conns, i have played on a Selmer all my life, but wanted something with a more full bodied tone and was told that 10m conns were the way to go. I picked it up at a pawn shop for 75$ and want to restore it to play, but it is definetly going to need a complete mechanical overhaul and wanted to know if it is worth the cost so i can play it. I want to play it, not just look at it. Is it a good enough horn for the trouble?

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

I can't answer that one. 75 is pretty cheep for a base instrument. It still might be cheaper, and easier to just buy one on ebay that is in working order. Or the Trade section on this site. I don't know how you feel about overhauling. I thing this site charges around $1250. So that's almost how much the horn is worth, but you only paid 75 for it, so your breaking even and getting a great player. Their overhauls look really good too. So why don't you price compare and think about it. I don't know which years where the best conns but I know as long as it is younger then 1968 and not a Director model, its a fine horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I play a 1948 Conn 10M naked lady tenor professionally, and it is one of the best tenor saxophones I have ever played. Yours is a late 1947/early 1948 model. Does it have rolled tone holes? If not, it's a 1948. According to Dr. Rick (www.drrick.com), The 1948 models started with serial number 327,150. Conn 10M's restored are worth quite a bit. I have been offered over $2500 for mine, which was relacquered and completely overhauled a couple years ago. On ebay, most later (1948-1959) 10M Naked Ladies in good condition are selling for between $1200-$1800. The earlier (pre 1947) models with rolled tone holes are selling for more. I most definately think it's worth the cost of a rebuild, but if you decided that you didn't want to put the money into it for whatever reason, let me know and I will gladly give you twice what you paid for it, plus shipping and handling! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

18 years ago

It's worth it to fix it. Go for it.

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

18 years ago

mine is a 1941 model, spring I think. it's one of the best tenors I've played, and many people complemented me on my sound. It's also been comparied to a new selmer series 3 tenor in both action and sound. they are really great horns, and are worth restoring!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by ecw31180
            (3 posts)

18 years ago

i really appreciate everyones feedback and will probably go through the restore. I want a jazz horn and think with what i payed for it i can afford the restore and know that it is in pristine playing condition. Once again thanks alot :)

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

" I picked it up at a pawn shop for 75$ and want to restore it to play, " WHAT? that's crazy... again (like others have said) these go for around 1500-2000 (or so). If everything is there it's worth almost whatever it takes to get the thing going! post pics!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
            (421 posts)

18 years ago

With letter B its a non rolled tone holes . Letter T is rolled holes Dave

Reply To Post

2. by JaZzer
            (25 posts)

18 years ago

sounds good, restore it! I picked up my 10M tenor for about $250, off of someone who called it a "vintage alto." However, mine ends with an E, which leads me to believe it's a 1962 model, with an underslung octave key. Still for a pretty late 10M, it sounds great, so i can't even imagine how a '48 10M would sound when Conn was at the top of its game. When you get it restored, post how it went!

Reply To Post