Saxophone Forum

by Gooshbanshee
(24 posts)
18 years ago

Selmer ref. 54 model 74 Vs Keliworth shadow

well, im finally looking in to getting my own saxophone because the yamaha yts-54 isnt cutting it. For a while now ive been thinking about the ref.54, a beautiful,complex saxophone, but when i looked at some of the reviews i thought i should look around a little more , and thats when the shadow caught my eye. this saxophone had better ratings and was a top seller on a couple sites..i thought maybe ill just go with the shadow, but then i noticed on a different site the ref got better reviews and was also a top seller...so cunfusing.....soo now i thought i should go here and see what other people think Thanks, Troy

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Selmer ref. 54 model 74 Vs Keliworth shadow

I played both of those horns, but on different occasions. Both of the horns are excellent. I think you need to play them back to back.The prices are pretty close. If you go to Sam Ash, they will let you play both horns. Their prices are pretty competitive. I hope you stick with your playing, as these horns are very expensive. Practice On :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Roccosm
      (113 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Friend Have You ever played a Borgani sax?? They look very nice? Curious,,Rocco

Reply To Post

2. by diminishedpower
    (25 posts)

18 years ago

ive played both and like said above u really need to play both of them back to back, but for a very generalization, now remember u can get any sound u want out of almost every horn, just one will lend itself to one kind easier, now that said, keilworth shadow will remind you of an old conn with a fat low end big bell, and just over all like a conn, then the sel,er really does do a good job of being like a mark VI(which ive played several) but the mark has a smaller bell so a tougher low end but can be just as fat with practice. Another thing to think about the selmer has a much tighter/closer ergonomics(key placement and feel) the keilworth is like a tank and big wide ergonomics. And to end this, there both great horns and i personally own a Ref 54, and never doubt my choice, i love it. P.S. im assuming ur talking tenor becase u said yts which stands for a yamaha tenor.

Reply To Post