Saxophone Forum

by jflatt
(1 post)
18 years ago

1976 Buffet Crampon

Hello, I am new to the forum and I have a question for you guys (and girls). I have a 1976 Bufet Crampon alto sax that is an S1 series, serial number 25595. Do any of you have any idea of what it is valued at, it is in very good condition and has the original case and accessories. Any help would be great thank you!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by DaveUK1965
    (14 posts)

18 years ago

Re: 1976 Buffet Crampon

Congratulations, nice sax. I have an S2 tenor which I paid 750 pounds for - I'm in the UK. The S1 should be worth more: but being an alto, and mine being a tenor, I reckon it'll go for the same price. They sell better in Europe than in the US, where they're relatively unknown. Buffets were once seen as "the other French sax" and for a lot of people's money (in Europe) were considered equal to, if not better than, a Selmer. (stirs the pot, there ! ;-) ) They're highly expressive saxes but if you try to rock and roll them, they sulk. Mine will also not play unless you wash the crook and mouthpiece first: bizarre. ;-)

Reply To Post

2. by stephangus
    (11 posts)

18 years ago

i have a '65 super dynaction alto, and i think it's gorgeous. haven't had it that long, but even with the stock mouthpiece it's proving to be an exceptional horn- dead nuts in tune with a uniquely dark, pure and even sound. from what i've read, the ergonomics on the s1 are considered by many to be the best ever (selmer included). yes, buffets are undervalued here in the us where the mkvi is god. i've owned two vi's, a vii and a super ballance action- yet this buffet sda i love. your s1 is likely worth apendages in my weighted estimation. as for money value, here's one opinion

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
      (309 posts)

18 years ago

Actually the buffet is S1 is not that great a horn ,,,many issues with the keywork,,,, the right pinky keys are especially suspect ,,I know I had a Buffet Prestige S1 ,,,,the S2 and S3 are way better at this level,,,, see the link for the difference Also,,, Buffets cannot accept a great quantity of air they choke up ,,this is true of most buffet all the way back to the SDA ,,,,as Gilles Moisan once said Buffet should stick to clarinets ,,they actually did . All in all if you own a Prestige it should be kept it is a beautiful horn to look at !!! perso.wanadoo.fr/saxophone/pages%20web/Saxophones%20Buffet%20Crampon%20S%E9rie%20S3%20Prestige.htm" target="other">perso.wanadoo.fr/saxophone/pages%20web/Saxophones%20Buffet%20Crampon%20S%E9rie%20S3%20Prestige.htm

Reply To Post

1. by nickma
        (1 post)

17 years ago

Actually, I have had several Bufet S1s, and the problem seems to be that people are incapable of setting them up properly. Get rid of micro-leaks, adjust the springing suitably, the adjuster screws and the adjuster barrels, and it they play exceptionally. Neither warm nor bright, they are the most neutral, natural, wide-open-window sounding of saxes I have tried. Intonation and scale is spot on, and the mechanism, whilst differently organised than Selmers etc., works well once properly adjusted. And it stays in adjustment nicely. The keywork is fine, the thumb-rest too small and requires quite thick corking in the 'hook'. They do not choke up with a proper set up, nothing could be further from the reality. Actually they are capable of taking a huge amount of air and respond correspondinly. They can deliver as much power as you wish, with tonal characteristics adapted to the mouthpiece used. Unsurprisingly they do not play well if set up is sloppily done. Why are many people incapable of doing this? 'Course It takes time, but no more than any other instrument, it just takes a while to work out the mechanical interdependencies. I am convinced that a few negative reviews are the result of badly set up instruments, because a proper-playing S1 is undeniably a great, great sax.

Reply To Post

1. by markseez
          (17 posts)

17 years ago

I agree with you Nigma, plus the 1962 SDA Tenor i own is the heaviest horn. I'm not shure how and if this affect the sound but I know that saxes do not really "take air". A lot of comments on saxes not taking air are related to leaks and embouchures issues. I personnaly use a Dukoff D 10 on my SDA and it rocks and sounds like a MKVI with a berg.

Reply To Post

2. by de luca
          (2 posts)

16 years ago

finding a good tecnicion is hard.ive spent so much money repairing my grandfathers crampton tener.true it has a great tone when its adjusted right.ive found even the pro's dont know your horn like you.if im going to pay hundrets of dollars i really want to be there to show and tell the instrument.any one with a vintage horn knows this.its old and needs more work but when its right ,what a woderfull sound.wouldnt trade it for the world

Reply To Post

2. by stephangus
        (11 posts)

18 years ago

hmmmm. "selmer for ever"...... guess that about says it all.

Reply To Post

1. by stephangus
          (11 posts)

18 years ago

more info than you can shake a selmer at... www.saxpics.com/buffet/SSeries.htm

Reply To Post

2. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

18 years ago

yes selmer 4evr says quite a bit,,, but I have had my share of horns even a cigar cutter which is NOT a great horn,,, I mean it ,,,,,, so there enough for the stereotyping my assesment of Buffet is real i have owned some even a prestige my Clarinet is an R13 ( great piece of work ) but not for saxophones the obvious example is daniel deffayet played Buffet for years ( while under contract at Conservatoir National ) even he left the Buffet clan to return to Selmer ,,,as for keywork rad this following link www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/Buffet_S1_tenor.htm

Reply To Post

3. by stephangus
        (11 posts)

18 years ago

i own a mark vi, so la. i have owned two others, a vii, and an sba, so la re. i prefer the right pinky cluster on my buffet sda to that of my vi. compared to the martin i had for twenty years and just sold, if i pushed the great quantity of air it was capable of taking through my mark vi, the vi would shut down and go home. am i dissing vi's?! i am not. your assesment is real- it's really yours. it is also in dispute. i'll not continue the dueling opinion link game- there is tremendous respect for buffet saxophones out there and the market value of buffet vintage is growing- not, in my very real opinion, because they are the bastard french step sisters of the mark vi, but because they're distinctly great horns. my assesment is that buffet has made at least one exceptional contribution to the evolving saxophone species: my sda. when i play it, i'm not comparing it to clarinets. i'm not comparing it to a selmer, it doesn't play like one. it's sound is unique, it is rare and remarkable. i find the ergonomics quite good. and the tone singularly pure, dark, and complex- it spins; it sings. it does not roar, though with the right player and piece i'm confident that it could say a few things. more than enough. fin -s

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

The Buffet Crampton is the worst saxophone I have ever played for my purposes. For a classical teacher or student in the teaching studio it works OK. There you don't have to play loud or with any edge. My teacher in college was pushing Buffets to his students. I bought one and traded in an Mark Vl. After all, the sax teacher at North Texas State couldn't be wrong. It was fine in my lessons but couldn't be heard in the One O'clock Jazz band that I was playing in. I tried lots of mouthpieces at the time and nothing helped. I finally bought another Mark Vl. Problem solved for me.......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

The Buffet I had was in 1971. It may not have been the model you are talking about. I do remember the alto I had was the top of Buffet's line. Sorry, gettin old is a bitch......Kelsey Gotta think before I write......:0
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

18 years ago

Kelsey although I am not a buffet fan I suspect that your experience with buffet is of the evette which is really unfair ,,the sda and the s1 to s3 line would be a better comparative to a mark VI nevertheless buffets do not accept a lot of air that is a proven fact ( hold on here by a lot of air I mean great compression of the air )

Reply To Post

4. by de luca
          (2 posts)

16 years ago

my tenor crampton is from 60's or 70's and has a soft tone.i wouldnt trade it for the world.great for dinner or lounge music.wnna jump i use selmer vi alto or another oldie seler series 9 clarinet.yes my tenor doesnt sound like coltrain but lester young,parker and defranco will do

Reply To Post

5. by oldschool
          (5 posts)

16 years ago

My 1976 SDA Alto is a superb horn and WAY better than the 1972? Mk VI Selmer I played in college. It does have a subtle dark sound that might not out blast a big band. I use a Meyer MP and have no trouble getting volume. Of course, the group dynamics (or lack of them) may be a factor, as well (are you listening trumpets?). Put a mic on that baby and it blows sweet and sexy as you could ever want. Intonation on this horn is superior to Selmers of similar vintage (including my Selmer Tenor) and the keywork is very responsive. If a horn sounds and plays great for you, end of story.

Reply To Post