Saxophone Forum

by SaxPlayer324
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Mouthpieces and other things

I have a really old Bundy (by Selmer) Tenor Saxophone. I play it in my high school's marching band and concert band. Since it is so old, it is hard to get a good quality sound out of it, espeically with the low notes. I'm getting it looked at this week, but I think it might just be because of my mouthpiece. Does anyone have any advice on what mouthpiece I should get for it. I don't want a metal mouthpiece. On of our goals for marching band this year is to have a rich, dark tone. What mouthpiece would be good for that? Also, if anyone has any ideas on why my saxophone isn't working as well as it should. I know its not totally me because I can get a nice sound out of other saxs. I've gotten it repadded somewhat recently (1 or 2 years ago). I'm trying out my friends mouthpiece tonight hopefully, to see how well it works with hers. Thanks for any tips you might have, and i look forward to reading your insight.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxplaya81
    (110 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Mouthpieces and other things

I used to use a selmer c* for legit in college, it gives a pretty dark and rich sound. Your horn prolly just has some leaks in it and if its old as you say it is the pads may be worn, your tech should be able to isolate the problem.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

If you have more problems on your horn that other's then there is something wrong with your horn, and it could be one or more of a plethora of issues.

Reply To Post

1. by jwaltb
      (15 posts)

18 years ago

Been doing some looking for pretty much the same thing. I'm giving an Otto Link a try now - waiting for it to come in the mail. I'll let you know if I like it or not.

Reply To Post

3. by schellerj
    (6 posts)

18 years ago

try a rouseau new classical mouthpiece. it gives a nice dark sound with good projection. i find the selmer c* to be really stuffy on tenor...oh yeah...the rouseau will also be a lot easier on your wallet than many other pieces

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

18 years ago

Assuming your horn is in check, I'd recommend a Link Tone Edge for a full dark sound on tenor. Something around a 7 facing.

Reply To Post

1. by jwaltb
        (15 posts)

18 years ago

Don't know if you're still looking, but I thought I'd give my thoughts on the Otto Link. I got the rubber mpc with a 6 facing and find that it does indeed do what I was hoping. While it isn't completely with out an "edge" to the tone, I find it produces a full tone that adds just enough mellow-ness, or darkness for my needs. It's reasonably priced in comparison to what's out there as well. Hope that provides some help. Jim B

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
      (141 posts)

18 years ago

I agree. Try the Rousseau NC-4 or NC-5. Good warmth and even blowing feel up and down.

Reply To Post

4. by musicman_horton
    (19 posts)

18 years ago

I like the idea of the Rousseau, haven't tried a tenor, only a soprano. I'm partial to the Selmer Paris S90

Reply To Post AIM