Saxophone Forum

by thelittlemarchingone
(50 posts)
18 years ago

A Classical Tenor Mouthpiece

Haha, it's funny, I know, but I need one. I played two different jazz mouthpieces throughout concert band last year and I don't think it went over to well, so I've decided to suck it up and get a good mouthpiece for concert band playing so I don't keep sticking out. Problem is, I'm totally clueless. I normally play a Vandoren T55 Jumbo Java. I really, REALLY like Vandoren mouthpieces (and their price) but I don't know if they'll fit with what I need to be able to play with an ensemble sound in my concert band this upcoming school year. If anyone could recommend any mouthpieces, and different makes, I would be most grateful. Thanks a lot guys!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

18 years ago

Re: A Classical Tenor Mouthpiece

Try a Rousseau NC-4 or NC-5. Fairly inexpensive, and good rich sound. Also, check out the stuff that Ralph Morgan has to offer. Used to know a few legit cats who would even use a hard rubber Meyer or hard rubber Wagner . . .

Reply To Post

2. by classysax91
    (7 posts)

18 years ago

Hey, I play classical tenor. I personally use a Vandoren Optimum mouthpiece and ligature and I love it. It does just fine in wind ensemble situations.

Reply To Post

3. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Maybe a Vandoren Optimum? The standard mouthpiece is a selmer S80, but if your happy with vandoren I'd try the optimum.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by thelittlemarchingone
      (50 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion! I hate Selmer mouthpieces, I've tried them all including the S80, but they just don't work for me, so that's why I was looking more on the Vandoren line, and Vandoren's never served me wrong before...

Reply To Post

1. by musicman_horton
        (19 posts)

18 years ago

I know that you don't like selmer mouthpieces, but have you tried the S90? That's what I play on my alto. Also, I hear that the Rousseau tenor mouthpieces are pretty good.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by thelittlemarchingone
          (50 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah, I've tried the S90 too. For whatever reason, Selmer mouthpieces and I don't get along very well. I've tried Rousseau pieces and I really like them, but I have to look into price. I really don't have much money, so if they're much more expensive than Vandorens I probably wouldn't be able to afford them. Does anyone have an average for about how much they cost, in comparison to Vandoren? When I tried them I never looked at the price since I had no money and was just trying them out for future reference...

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

wwbw.com sells them around 50 dollars...about half the price of a vandoren.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by gemster
          (51 posts)

18 years ago

if you're not too picky a yamaha 5C mouthpiece plays quite nicely for classical. Its dirt cheap so you may as well try it if you're looking for any suggestions, admittedly it is made out of plastic, but you wouldn't really expect anything else from the price (20 pounds, not sure what that'd be in dollars)

Reply To Post

4. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

'a yamaha 5C mouthpiece plays quite nicely for classical.' I'll second that, but don't ever drop it! If it lands on the tip it's a goner...

Reply To Post

5. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Dont most hard rubber mouthpieces do that? I remember stupid trombone was playing with my s80 C*, dropped and shattered it...

Reply To Post AIM

6. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

'Dont most hard rubber mouthpieces do that?' I don't know about hard rubber, but I actually shattered my Yamaha 4C, which is how I came to try a 5C...

Reply To Post

7. by gemster
          (51 posts)

18 years ago

Just out of interest which do you prefer, the 4C or 5C? I personally like the 5C although my friend insists I am mad... Thanks for the tip about dropping it, I'll try very hard not to :D cheers Harriet x

Reply To Post

8. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

Let's just say that I really can't remember the last time I used the 4C...

Reply To Post