Saxophone Forum

by gottydot
(41 posts)
18 years ago

New York Meyer mouthpiece

Recently I bought a conn 6m "Naked lady" . It sounds awesome, but it needs to be majorly cleaned, re-padded and recorked. Also, the guy gave me a New York meyer mouthpiece (alto), and all together, I got the sax for $440. I tried to do some research on the mouthpiece, but I can't find it anywhere. I want to know what chamber size it is, and how much its worth. It has no gold writing, and no diamond on the place where the reed goes. where the two lines go around, its short, not long, like many I've seen. and on top, theres a "4" I think someone carved it in, but my dad thinks its supposed to be there. Can anyone help?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New York Meyer mouthpiece

You have a Meyer 4. The number denotes the tip opening of the mouthpiece, or the space between the tip of the mouthpiece to the tip of the reed. The most popular one is 5, but if it plays well, keep it. Meyers are the standard for jazz altos.

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
      (315 posts)

18 years ago

BTW, just google Meyer Mouthpieces and you can find the web site and get all the information you need.

Reply To Post

1. by gottydot
        (41 posts)

18 years ago

I tried googleing them...but i couldnt find any that looked like mine. I've never heard of a '4'....I would think that it would have easier to play. But it's harder than my meyer 5m.

Reply To Post

2. by Roccosm
      (113 posts)

18 years ago

Your Meyer New York can be worth 400-600 dollar's depending on the person that want's it, 5 is the most often played. Do You like it? You can get it open if it is to closed, dont get rid of it>

Reply To Post

1. by gottydot
        (41 posts)

18 years ago

How can I get it opened? and what if I don't like it after it's been opened?

Reply To Post