Saxophone Forum

by vaggmann
(8 posts)
18 years ago

saxophone paint job

i want to give my sax a new paint job from its normal gold.........does anyone have suggestions on how to do this?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

18 years ago

Re: saxophone paint job

A bad idea. If there's nothing wrong with the sound of the horn, then just leave it alone. Especially if you had planned on doing it yourself. If your horn is worth anything, it will be worth less, tonally and monetarily after you do it.

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

18 years ago

One thing you need to realize before considering a "paint job" is what the paint will do to the sound and response of the horn . . . Paint (and some people don't realize this one, but lacquer is a paint) will deaden the response of the horn and cause the metal to not vibrate as well. This is why you see a lot of people playing unlacquered horns nowadays (I actually had the lacquer professionally removed from my Mark VI tenor a few years back and it improved the sound tremendously). Plating, on the other hand (i.e. silver or gold), actually increases the vibration of the metal allowing for more resonance. That being said, if you still want a "paint job" for your horn, there are many places which will do it for you professionally. A buddy of mine needed a sousaphone painted red for the Brian Setzer tour, and I think he actually had an automotive paint and body guy (who was also a musician) do it for him. We just did a gig a couple of weeks ago with that very horn and it looks spectacular--but of course, he knows that it's just a gimmick for show biz . . .

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

BAD IDEA!!! Don't do it!!! A proper finish would involve removing all the keys, stripping the lacquer, cleaning and buffing the horn, and then spraying the new lacquer, which must be done evenly, at the proper temperature, etc. I wouldn't let just any tech refinish my horns either. Find an experienced tech to do it. I wouldn't recommend an elaborate paint job either. The more paint or lacquer that you apply to the horn, the more effect it will have on the resonation.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

18 years ago

Jim is correct. A relacquer is about the biggest job that can be done to a saxophone considering all the work that must go into it. All soft materials must be removed, the old lacquer stripped by chemicals and or physical buffing and dents worked out as part of the prepwork. New lacquer can be applied to your taste according to the selection available from the tech doing it. After that, all pads, felts, corks, springs must be replaced. This is very, very expensive and doesn't come close to justifying itself with respect to the value of the horn, if that's one of your motivations. Also keep in mind: There is some debate as to a saxophone's finish effects it's sound sound. Some are absolutely certain that certain finishes have certain effects on tone. I've seen many debates on the subject. It always comes down to one side (the side who thinks finish does matter) giving subjective experience as to what happened when they did this or that to their horn, or they tried several horns with different finishes and they sounded a certain way.... The other side (who say finish matters little to nothing) giving other subjective experience, plus scientific evidence found in double-blind testing of instruments in an experiment, plus accoustical theory that illustrates that finish doesn't matter. They also claim the power of subjective thought (if you think it ought to play brighter/darker/richer/pinker) will make it play how the player expects. A likely theory given that the player is where the tone quality largely comes from. Tone and response can be largely effected by the state of the horn. A horn with no leaks will blow freer and easier than an old seive in need of much work. It'll likely sound better too. Given that refinished horns are given an overhaul, could that be the difference? To me, a horn sounds like it sounds, and changing finish to try and alter your tone the way you expect it to is a wild goose-chase. If you want a different coloured sax, it might be just as cheap to see if any competent saxophone is allready made in the colour you like. If your goal is a darker/brighter/fuller/richer/more vibrant sound, it's probably better to find a horn reguardless of finish that's better to your liking.

Reply To Post

1. by Tbone
        (120 posts)

18 years ago

Refinish a horn yourself? A very bad idea! As the others have already stated, a real big job. That said, I've got a Martin tenor hanging in my finishing room of my shop in translucent purple. A Purple Martin, quite prophetic! lol Seriously, this horn was a hulk. Dents, old repairs that resembled cellulite, scratches, gouges, a missing post and a broken key. It's now purple lacquer with gold lacqueres bell and keys. The only reason this horn is being done at all is it belongs to a friend of mine and I'm working on it between my regular work with no solid schedule. If a normal customer wanted this type of job it would be between $2500 to $3000 That's a lot of money just to have your horn look cool! Spend more time learning to make your horn sound cool and you'll go farther. A monster player is far better than a monster looker.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

Tbone, Bill is going to be thrilled with his new pimped out Martin! I hope one of you will post pictures on SOTW when it's done. Cheers.

Reply To Post

2. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

Cool. Does it have flames and stuff?

Reply To Post

3. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

That would be pretty...crazy...hahaha

Reply To Post AIM

4. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

Nah, flames are just too much work. All that masking and air brushing. Not only that every time you change colors it's wash out the equipment again! I did flames and skulls on a MK VII back in the 80's. He was a sax player in a Goth/punk band! Real weird dookie if you get my drift! ;-)

Reply To Post

5. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

18 years ago

It's very easy to do, and won't affect the sound of th ehorn in any way if you do it right. I've done about a hundred over the years. Strip the old lacquer chemically and clean the body well. You won't need to buff the horn (and remove metal) if the surface is smooth. We apply high quality automotive paint, well thinned, with an airbrush. A very thin application is all that is needed.

Reply To Post