Saxophone Forum

by sinfoniantrumpeter
(1 post)
18 years ago

New to sax

Hi everyone, I'm currently getting my MM in trumpet performance. What am I doing here you say? Well I'm wanting to learn the sax. My question is: What kind of sax should I purchase. I want a good horn with a good sound/intonation, but don't want to pay out the wazoo since it'll be a secondary instrument. Thanks for your help!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New to sax

Since you're already a Bb person, I recommend a tenor sax. You should be able to find a used YTS-23 in good playing condition for under $1k, and maybe even as low as $500...

Reply To Post

1. by syrasax
      (75 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New to sax

I'd second that. I played the trumpet for years and picked up the tenor a few years ago. I started with a YTS-23 which my wife bought for me new and I sold it last year for just under 1k so I could buy my YTS-62. But as for the transition from trumper to sax, it's a much different animal. I truly underestimated the complexity of the saxophone mostly due to ignorance on my part. Trumpet? Three fingers working three valves. Sax? Sometimes nine fingers! But you're an "MM" so you probably know that better than I did when I switched and there's obviously more to the complexity but that said, I sold my '69 Bach Strad and didn't look back.

Reply To Post