Saxophone Forum

by MPistone
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Alto Meyer Mouthpiece Question

Hi, I am primarily a tenor player, and I play on a Meyer 5M. I have recently picked up an Alto and am playing it more, but am having difficulties with the Meyer 6S mouthpiece I got with it. It has a pad on it, and I can tell from the impression on that, that I am biting when I play. I also feel that the air is not completely going through the mouthpiece (I feel some of it blowing outwards). Also, I feel I am "forcing" the sound more than usual. Unfortunately the stores around me aren't letting me try out mouthpieces. Should I switch to a Meyer 5M for the Alto as well? Should I try a Selmer model? I basically just play classical Saxophone in concert band.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MPistone
    (3 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Alto Meyer Mouthpiece Question

Also, my band director suggested I try a harder reed, but it didn't give me any better results. Any suggestions? I don't want to keep playing on a mouthpiece that isn't right for me.

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

18 years ago

I double on alto and tenor and play a more open setup on tenor than I do on alto. You're going to need more control for playing alto, and for that you'll need a more closed setup. If you are going to be playing legit alto, might I recommend the Rousseau NC-4 for concert band playing . . . it will be more closed, but will be similar in feel to what you have on tenor. If you are concerned with how much you are biting, might I recommend using a softer mouthpiece patch on top--that will help you to ease up on your bite. The Meyer is a good all-purpose mouthpiece, but if you are strictly doing legit concert band stuff, the Rousseau is a good way to go. There are other mouthpieces you might want to try, but I would recommend sticking to a round chambered mouthpiece (although the Rousseau is horseshoe chambered). So if you try out Selmer mouthpieces, make sure you go with a round chamber--avoid a square chambered mouthpiece (such as the C*80) as it will alter your airstream too much. As far as trying out mouthpieces before you buy is concerned, a number of online vendors will give you a trial period (granted you pay for all shipping costs even if you send all the mouthpiece back). I've written a fairly comprehensive article on mouthpiece selection, which points out why I recommend something with a round chamber. The article is in two parts and can be found at the following link: www.saxophone.us/sax/sax_mouthpieces_the_working_saxophonist.html Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Reply To Post

1. by MPistone
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

If anyone has a link for one of these sites that will give me a trial period, it would be most appreciated.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

www.wwbw.com

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM