Saxophone Forum

by kmalinski
(1 post)
18 years ago

"Round" Lyre?

Hello, I don't play the saxophone; I'm posting on behalf of my younger cousin. We bought her a sax off of eBay awhile ago, and it's been great for her. She found out that she will be playing with the high school students at a football game next Friday, and she needs a lyre to hold her sheet music. Apparently, while most lyres have a square end, hers is a circle. We've looked on eBay, all of the local stores, and everywhere on the Internet. We cannot find one of these anywhere. I guess we know why we got the sax so cheap! I'd be really really grateful for any help you guys could give me. My cousin is really looking forward to playing, and she would be devastated if she couldn't--and they won't let her unless she finds the right lyre. Thanks so much, Kelly

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by pease-pudding
    (6 posts)

18 years ago

Re: "Round" Lyre?

Hi Believe me the shape of the lyre holder would not have effected the price of the horn. As a quick fix - just by a standard lyre and file or grind of the corners. I have a c melody that came with a lyre like this and it fits fine, the screw will hold it firmly.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

I second the previous post. Just use a file meant for metal and lightly buff all four corners until you can fit the lyre into the opening. Don't overdo it, as you don't want to over-weaken the metal. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

using a file isn't going to over-weaken the metal. It will make things skinnny which "could" make something less strong, but I wouldn't worry about it. Just use about any file you have laying around and take those corners down. (any file meaning any one that isn't one of those big corse ones made for wood). I would offer this suggestion though, don't make it so it just fits, make it so it goes in there easily and comes out easily. This is so you don't tug and pull at it and cause the area you just worked on to get brittle. Brass does like to move a little bit, but it gets hard and cracks very easily. good luck!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

The more you file something, the weaker it gets because of loss of mass and matter. Sax mom has a valid point. Is less strong not weaker? IF you can , put it on a grinding wheel so you can rotate it. You'll be done in 142 seconds. All the best to you :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

well here is my big objection to using a grinder. It will create heat and (if the metal turns color) cause annealing to happen. This would really make it weak/soft. and sorry, I shouldn't have used "" in could in my first post. It just depends on how far you're going to file down.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

Both filing and grinding/ sanding are acceptable methods of reshaping brass. Yes a power grinder will cause heat due to friction but if one uses water to quench the metal between passes on the grinder there will be no ill effects to the base metal. Grind a little, quench, etc. BTW if one was to try and grind on a brass lyre and impart sufficient heat to anneal the brass you better be wearing welding gloves. The heat required to anneal brass would surely burn the crap out of your hands! Big objection solved! :- )

Reply To Post

4. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

I'm suprised no one wanted to just beat it into shape with a hammer! :-)

Reply To Post