Saxophone Forum

by cellosax17
(1 post)
18 years ago

Alto Sax Mouthpiece

I need some guidance regarding mouthpieces. I have just recently purchased a used Bundy II alto sax. I love my "new" sax, but I'm less thrilled with the mouthpiece, which is very similar to the one I have on my other sax, which is extremely low-quality (both the mouthpiece and the sax!). So now I'm starting to look for a better mouthpiece, because I've heard mouthpieces can certainly improve tone and such. However, I'm absolutely CLUELESS. I've only been playing the alto sax for two years (I started in ninth grade so I could be in the high school jazz band- the cello is my main instrument!) and I know next to nothing about which mouthpieces would be a good purchase and which wouldn't. Any help would be VERY much appreciated. I'm looking for a mouthpiece no greater than $50 or so, and one that will serve me well for the next two years in Jazz Band. Suggestions, please!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Alto Sax Mouthpiece

your probably not going to get anything more than a stock or simple upgrade for less than $50. there is a chance of picking up a used meyer or something off of ebay if you get lucky. but thats about it. for around $100 you can get a pretty decent piece

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by papa_smurf
      (6 posts)

18 years ago

I faced the same issue with a terrible $2-ish plastic mouthpiece on the 2nd-hand horn I bought, a jody-jazz HR* mouthpiece was $107 and literally transformed the sax. Cheers :)

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

18 years ago

Since you haven't been playing all that long, I would recommend that you pick up a Meyer 5M, because it's a good pure setup, and you will be less likely to develop bad habits with your fundamentals. I've written a two-part article on mouthpiece selection that explains my reasoning behind this. You can read it at: www.saxophone.us/sax/sax_mouthpieces_the_working_saxophonist.html

Reply To Post