Saxophone Forum

by Selmer Lover
(21 posts)
17 years ago

Cannon ball curved Sop Sax?

Hey Guys, I've been in the market for a new soprano for a while and looking for some opinions. I have a 92" Series II sop right now but I'm not the biggest fan of the edge of tone. I was at a music store the other day and saw a Cannon Ball curved sop up on the wall and I played it and was impressed right away with the tone and intonation. I ran that horn from Bb to skyline A with a tuner and it was way better than my series II and it seemed like it played really well. I'm a performance major in college but I would like some opinions from players that are out there performing with these horns or know someone that does. Thanx Guys.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Cannon ball curved Sop Sax?

There is a much too lengthy discussion of the relative merits of this brand elsewhere on this forum. Evidently, the Taiwanese have learned how to make saxophones of decent quality. This was not true when Cannonball was young. I don't know any pros using the horn - but in the discussion there may be some. Personally, I would find it hard to trust in the long term with any unknown brand - but they have their fans. And at one time Selmer was new. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
      (138 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Cannon ball curved Sop Sax?

I bought a straight bell soprano from cannonball a while ago and I am very pleased with it. It does, as you say, have extremely good intonation and I like the sound a lot. I found that the stock mouthpiece was of good quality and haven't gotten a different mouthpiece yet. I have had only one problem however. About six months after I bought the horn one of the stones that attatches to the left hand palm keys fell off. It was an easy fix, however, just a thin layer of super glue. If you end up buying the instrument I would take it in to get it checked for leaks. This is standard procedure for all saxes fresh off the market and after it is checked it will be like a dream come true. A very good instrument. Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post