Saxophone Forum

by saxmom13
(4 posts)
17 years ago

Looking for a new sax for my son

Hello I am new here. I am looking for a new (used) sax for my youngest son. Both of my sons play sax. One is graduating this year, and we just got home from All Region Jazz concert. It was great. But my youngest son needs a new one, he is in 7th grade, he got the hand me down from the older son's first sax. It's pretty worn out. I am looking at 2 on Ebay, one is the Selmer As500 (a demo) and the other is a As701, it's new. Can you give me any help?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Looking for a new sax for my son

Hi new Mom. What is your budget for this horn? If under $1000, I'd go for a Yamaha 23, although I heard the USA Selmers are pretty good too. It also partly depends on where you see this son headed musically. How devoted is he to practicing? How good is he now? I got a Selmer Mark VI at age 12 that has lasted me 44 years now. If I had gotten a Bundy - I bet it would be gone by now - and I never would have played pro after my school years. You can get a nice lightly used Selmer current pro-line horn for around $1800-$2500. These would be the Super Action 80 Series II or Series III horns, although you can find a Reference horn at this price sometimes. Would it be worth it? - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by saxmachine777
      (57 posts)

17 years ago

I'd say the same about looking into Yamaha or the other Selmers (Paris models). I've always loved playing Selmers and as I was fortunate enough to be in a school that valued its music program, I've always been able to play them (all of my high school's horns were). However, I've been frequently disappointed with the American Selmer offerings. I would look into new Yamahas or used pro horns (Selmer, Conn, King, for example) that might give you more for your money.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

17 years ago

If you're looking for a student horn (as the Selmers you've noted are), I will suggest looking into E. M. Winston. They are a newer company based in Boston, and have not yet gained the reputation I believe they should have. I have a soprano with which I'm very happy, and last year bought an alto for my daughter, and she loves it. Their website has reviews from some schools that use them as school horns out East. You can also get them for a fairly decent price. In my opinion, Selmer captializes too much on the "name brand" and overcharges, because, of course, people will pay it in order to say they have a Selmer...

Reply To Post

2. by winds101
      (2 posts)

17 years ago

Hi, I bought my son a new Yamaha 62 II, some reeds, neck strap, back strap....well, he never got started so this horn is for sale. I am a flutist, and would love to play Sax, but its not my instrument. Not sure if this would be right for your son (I am not a player). Paid about $2200, asking $1850 obo Please visit my website: www.winds101.com. It is a flute shop, but I do have a few Saxophones (this Yamaha 62II, and a vintage Selmer Mark VI Baritone Paris model. Best wishes, liz www.winds101.com (248) 885-2583

Reply To Post