Hello guys, I play on a Conn 2

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Wich mouthpiece to choose.

A Vandoren A20 is too bright? Then maybe it's you... You could try harder reeds. Do you study with anyone? They should be able to help you get a mellower tone without a new mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

2. by Jay69
    (5 posts)

17 years ago

Simply the easiest way to find out is to go to a helpful instrument woodwind shop, that can serve you example Dawkes (immense shop). Bring your sax in and try a range of mouthpieces thats what ive done wit all my sax's and always came out with the right one. However if ur using that mouthpiece it is prob the reed or urself

Reply To Post Yahoo! ICQ

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

Or if you live in an area where there aren't many neighborhood music shops to trial mouthpieces, which I suspect is the case, you should look for a large bore, low baffle piece to get a darker, more spread tone. The Jody Jazz HR* or Morgan Jazz/Vintage are good, handmade pieces at a reasonable price. Both have these qualities.

Reply To Post

1. by JoaoEduardo
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

I live in Brazil, and in the town I live there isnĀ“t a good store with great number of mouthpieces to choose from. Of course, the right thing to do is to choose from several mouthpieces to see wich is the best for the horn. I think of going to a bigger city to do it. But as a matter of fact, I was considering two mouthpieces: Otto Link Hard Rubber 6 or the new Meyer G5. Two great ones. Do you prefer one over the other?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Which mouthpiece to choose.

Both of your choices are darker mouthpieces in general sound, and meet the dimension and baffle requirements I suggested above. However current production JJ Babbitt pieces (the maker of both Otto Link and Meyer pieces currently) are notorious for their lax quality control and consistency. A play test of multiple examples is critical to obtaining a suitable, playable piece out of the box. The Morgan and JJ mouthpieces I suggested are based on vintage examples of these mouthpiece designs, and are hand made and finished. Both makers take great pains to make sure that their mouthpieces are fully hand faced and working to the MP's maximum potential before it leaves their site. Mail ordering from Ralph Morgan and JJ Jody Espina would be a viable, and reliable option should your accessible music stores not have suitable mouthpieces.

Reply To Post

2. by JoaoEduardo
          (4 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Which mouthpiece to choose.

Thanks a lot, dude.

Reply To Post