Hello everyone I have a questi

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Tenor Saxophone Cases

The SKB is a great case except the glue they use inside has an unpleasent smell. You can even taste it when you play your horn. I called them about the smell and they suggested I leave the case open and the smell would go away. Guess what happened? It stunk up my house. I gave the case away and bought a Gator..Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

I personally prefer the ProTek cases. The case I use looks soft on the outside, but it covers a cedar inner case, and it smells good too. It has the pockets I need to put accessories into, and it's shaped like the horn. A great case.

Reply To Post

3. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

17 years ago

SKBs are great. I've got one an it's a perfect fit for my Yani 992 prototype tenor. Different horns will fit different cases to differing degrees of well, but I really like SKBs, an they come with a lifetime warrenty. Also, if you have a lot to spend on a case, the 'botique' case to get is a Walt Johnson, an those are the best, but either SKB or Gator is fine. Whatever fits your horn better.

Reply To Post

4. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

SKB's are solid cases, however . . . I have an SKB horror story . . . my SKB alto case opened up on me while I was walking into a gig (it was strapped to my shoulder), and my alto did a perfect 3-point landing on the asphalt . . . $135 in repairs later, everything was fine, but now I don't trust SKB latches . . . I ended up immediately replacing it with a Walt Johnson . . . If you go with an SKB, I STRONGLY recommend that you pick up one of the third-party sleeves for it to ensure that it doesn't open up . . . don't know who's making them now, but Guardala used to make one . . . perhaps Cavallaro makes a case cover . . .

Reply To Post

1. by thelittlemarchingone
      (50 posts)

17 years ago

I love my protec contoured case - I have also had horrible experiences with SKB cases, so I really woudln't recommend them. My protec case has survived hell though, and has never failed me yet...

Reply To Post

5. by Azsax
    (47 posts)

17 years ago

SKB's are good, but for me the latches wore out too soon. I recently purchased a Jacob Winter Flight Case from weiner music. It costs a little more than the SKB's, but is worth it. The BAM cases are GREAT, too.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

If you are planning on transporting your horns further than the car trunk to a gig (i.e. across country, air/sea travel etc.) then Walt Johnson, Hiscox and Bam are the way to go. I'm stating the obvious to the working pro, but for the uninitiated: Stay away from the "gig bag" or soft sided cases for anything. They look nifty, but provide almost zero protection.

Reply To Post

6. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

17 years ago

bams are the only cases i truly trust

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by willieg
      (1 post)

17 years ago

I have the SKB contoured case for my Yamaha 62 YTS. Very sturdy, has 3 latches but the neck pouch is in the wrong location as the saxophone neck is susceptible to the case closing on it. Good looking case also.

Reply To Post

7. by Tranesyadaddy
    (279 posts)

17 years ago

I have a protec contoured case. It's super light and really tough. The thing I really like is that there's no contact with the horn's action ( like a hiscox ) so you can fit a variety of horns in. However, if you put the mouthpiece in the dedicated compartment, it falls out into where the sax is. I only found this out after buying it, but I probably would have bought it anyway. I just stick my mpc in the side compartment , or in my pocket. Maybe they've fixed this problem already. They're cheap too. :-)

Reply To Post

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
      (141 posts)

17 years ago

Protec cases do a great job of protecting your horn, however, the material on the outside of the case is by no means road-worthy . . . the stitching doesn't hold up, if you transport your horn around a lot, the material doesn't hold up, and the zippers can go pretty easily. Still, the internal plywood construction is solid. If you are a casual player (not to be confused with a player who plays casuals) and don't plan on transporting your horn much, then a Protec will do fine. However, if you are a pro and work a lot, a Protec case won't hold up.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

17 years ago

I have to agree with Insomniac Saxman about the less than tour worthy Protec cases. They just don't hold up to rugged use. Unfortunately for those of us in the U.S., two of the best case manufacturers are/will be hard to procure. Hiscox is no longer distributing their cases in the States, and from what I understand Walt Johnson (depending on who's story you believe) has either severely dropped their quality lately, or is ceasing production of some or all of their sax cases. There is always BAM, pricey but they are reliable.

Reply To Post