My grandfather gave me his sax

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: 1936 Martin "Lion and Crown" Alto Sax

Corinne- Value is quite dependent on condition: extent of lacquer or plating remaining, dents, broken key guards or worse yet, bent rods as well as pads, corks, and felts can make a huge difference in value. You can look at saxpics.com to find out more about this model - and maybe worldwidesax.com or saxgourmet.com to find an estimate of value in pristine shape --- I think. Of course searching eBay completed listings might yield some clues. This site has vintage horns for sale -- click that button. My memory of the Martins is that those engraved as The Martin Alto came a bit later and are the cream of the Martin crop from the late 1930's through the early 1950's. They might bring upwards of $2000-$3000 in really nice shape or as little as $700-$1000, depending on CONDITION. The earlier Martins - Handcrafts and etc. are not as highly valued. If you want to play and can stand the uncomfortable - to me - keywork, I think these mid 1930's Martins are supposed to have good tonal quality and less of the intonation problems of the 1920's horns. Good Luck.

Reply To Post